Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone know what halal meat is?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rebenda, Aug 9, 2009.

1. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

because i just found out tonight EXACTLY what happens to the animals compared to animals for 'regular' meat. im disgusted that this is allowed to go on! Yes its about religion but really its rediculus how can making an animal go through pain before killing it be better than stunning it so it cant feel anything i am soo disgusted and think ive been rather nieve before now as i thought the animal was treated better than usual. there should be laws against it!

sorry for the rant but i just couldnt believe it when i was just told!

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i totally agree!! im afraid i believe animal welfare comes before religeous beliefs:mad:

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I don't know much about halal meat, but isn't it where they drain the blood first?

4. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Yep they cut the animals throat and bleed it death whilst some prayers are played over a stereo, hmmm reet holy :mad: even cavemen were more sophisticated!!! I work with a man who happens to be a muslim and therefore eats halal meat and he claims to be a vegetarian...go figure :eek:ut:

5. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

And they call suffering..religion.:confused: Sick World..:(

6. Yes and i vehemently disagree with it - or with most of the ritual slaughter techniques no matter what the religion.

I am disgusted that the animal cannot be stunned first

Its interesting to note that yet again europe seems to be ahead of us (although i have a feeling its initial reasons were not to do with animal welfare), switzerland has a ban on any ritual slaughter. Norway Sweden and denmark although they have a ban can grant licences and their halal meat is stunned using a bolt pistol as is common in many uk abboitoirs.

This makes me wonder - WHY when halal means you damage the spinal chord is it ok to use a bolt pistol, and if its ok to use in those countries, why isnt it ok to use one in all countries? What makes a bolt pistol more halal in those countries? and why is a bolt postol better than a normal stunner?

I will say only one thing positive in regards to halal meat (and most ritual slaughters) - the animal is always well fed and watered, which is certainly more than can be said for many other practices. We have all seen videos of animals which have been in transit for hours and sometimes days - unable to walk due to dehydration and going into slaughter - at least with halal that doesnt happen.

7. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

unfortunatly these sick things happen, yet its out of our hands :(

i dont understand why in religion they can make anyone or any animal suffer....surely thats not what the gods wanted?? If so....they aint really gods in my eyes, more like murderers.

8. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

yer it should be about animal welfare i also think its disgusting that animals are not fed and waterd on transport etc as surley this is a guidline under the welfare act? if we left out pets to dehydrate we'd be in trouble! its rediculous all animals should be treated the same whether for religious purposes or not the animal should not suffer and i believe the prime ministor should go into a slaughter house and see this himself and also air this on tv so people can really see what happens on transport and in the slaughter house, deff agree animals welfare comes first to religion yes these gods are more like murderers if this is what they believe in! , and if i do go on a vet course then i am dreading this part of the training having to go and watch this happen for a minimum of a week!!

i think a petition of some sort should be sent!

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Well I hope none of you eat kebabs :001_tt2:

I think it's disgusting too, can't believe animals are being subjected to this. It should be a quick clean death :(

10. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

lol I was talking bout halal meat at work and one of the girls turned around and was disgusted cos she had had a halal kebab that week :001_rolleyes: she wont be eating one of those anytime soon :001_tt2::001_tt2:

11. animallover111

How many people eat curry's etc from the take away...?.........as its all made using halal meat.........

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Not me, I'm not a fan of indian food, I make my own chicken korma.

13. animallover111

i think thats the safest bet....at least you know whats going in your food.....:eek:...i cant eat anything spicy what so ever.....but i bet lots of people buy from their local indian without even realising its halal meat.......

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

The kormas where I live are much too sickly for me, and I'm a pain for any fat in my food. If I find gristle I refuse to eat the rest of it.

You're right, halal meat doesn't mean just kebab meat.

#14 sequeena, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  15. rottiesloveragdolls

16. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh no don't tell me that. Please no. Eww. Argh, Barf.

All take aways ?

Even the shish kebabs ?

This is sick.

17. animallover111

All the meat they use is halal meat.....

18. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh No! Why did I not know this ?

No more takeaway for me. I enjoy the Korma I make, I suppose I would try my own kebabs and just ask for their nice sauce they give you.

Disgusting!

I knew that most burgers were made from the meat around the cows ass but I didn't know take-aways were halal ? Barf!

19. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice