Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone know how to use Microsoft Access!?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lucyandsandy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I am using excel at work at the moment and I have so many databases it is getting ridiculous. So, I have been trying to set up something on Access, 7 hours later and I am so confused!
    I can make a form and a tables but then get lost, this is what I am after:

To have a main database with young peoples contact details, emergency details etc etc.

Then have a table of attendance for each of our four projects.

What I would need to pull off of it is total of attendance over all projects monthly and total attendance for each project monthly. Also to be able to see what projects each young person is attending and how many they attended etc.

To me it sounds straight forward but I am pulling my hair out now even after countless youtube explainations and Microsoft 'courses' :-(

2. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

I don't know access and it has been 20 something years since I designed a database but:

It sounds like you are asking that second table to do too much for a relational database. I can imagine 3 tables, minimum, for your application. A master data table for the student data; a master data table for the courses; a transaction table which is event based and references to the student numbers and course numbers. That third table might be keyed on date / time with indexes built on student and course number.

Get your relations right and the reporting should be easy.

3. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I have loads of databases going on the moment and it is the relational stuff I am struggling with, I will keep going though thank you!

4. Little Zooey

Little Zooey PetForums Senior

I use Access at work and I have designed my own databases, which have become valuable tools. However... you do need to work out what you want logically before you begin and I'm not good at that. My husband is, but we are ready to go to bed now.

You need sensible tables and I believe each one should have a primary key. If you don't know what to use for that, then let it create one for you - I usually do that.

Then you need to build your queries - the wizard should help you. You can have more than one table in a query, but in order for them to work together you need one field that they both share that you can use as a link.

The form is the last bit because that just makes it easier to enter data and to show the results of your queries.

I can't visualise what you have to work with and this is where I fail badly with Access. I tend to pile in, create everything without thinking and then struggle to get it working.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice