Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone keep Millipedes?

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Tigerneko, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Been looking into these as I want to expand my creepy crawley collection (they are terribly addictive!) and I have spotted a variety called the Burmese Beauty Millipede which seem like the most simple type to keep, and are also very pretty!

So, if anyone on here knows anything of them (millipedes in general, doesn't have to be burmese ones) then please ply me with knowledge! I am doing as much research as I can but it always helps to hear first hand from real owners :thumbup:

Thanks guys! :D

2. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

There were giant mombassa millipedes (not sure if that name is correct!) at the wildlife park I volunteered at. Everytime I picked one up it would poop on my hand! They're fairly easy to keep. I can text a friend of mine if you like, she knows all about them.

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Oh that would be lovely :) would you mind asking what make of substrate she keeps them on? I have so far read that Irish Peat Moss is the best but after a quick search, there's so many of them available so it would be good to see if there is a certain recommended brand, the Exo Terra Substrates don't look too bad but I don't want to go about getting the wrong type.

They are meant to be quite good handling wise once they're used to it but I think I will wear rubber gloves to start with as they can secrete a mildly harmful substance when they're not sure of something.

The type I am looking at are the Burmese Millipede, they seem to be one of the easiest, and aren't too big/too small and are also quite pretty :)

I'm quite enjoying getting to know creepy crawlies, I am usually petrified of Spiders but found a small one in the bath earlier on and managed to let it crawl on my sleeve, which is a big step for me :thumbup: it's just a matter of time before I progress on to Tarantulas :lol:

4. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

Sorry, I forgot about this :blush:

My friend said to use organic compost at least 4" deep with oak leaves and bark for them to hide under. For 2 millipedes its best to use a 12" long plastic/glass tank. A mini heat mat under 1 half of the tank, keep the substrate damp. Feed them weeny bits of fruit and veg every other day ;)

She's gunna email me a care sheet, which is mainly for breeding, but you may find some useful bits on there. I'll forward it on to you :)

Give me a shout if you wanna try a tarantula, cos I know a little bit about them :arf:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice