Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone in the York area...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by gloworm*mushroom, Apr 13, 2011.

1. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

fancy splitting a big order of Natural Instinct raw mince? I havent got a HUGE freezer (plus I like to have a teensy bit of human food in there sometimes) and with shipping it can be quite abit...

I am happy to travel to pick it up from someone if there is someone who fancies it :)

Martha x

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hey Martha, lovely idea, hope someone gets in touch. I don't think we share enough on here! :)

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I hope you manage to find a sharer. I will just say that the brick shapes of the new packaging stack really neatly into the freezer so don't take up too much space.

4. gloworm*mushroom

I really do have a ridiculously small freezer, three draws and the bottom one. I could probably fit a decent amount in to be fair with that size, but I think the bigger you scale up with shipping the cheaper it gets, so if there is someone who can share itd be good for both, instead of me buying a metric tonne and having no human freezer space (but the cats come first yeah? lol)

5. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Brilliant idea, I'd love a cat-food buddy but I'm 70 miles away so it's a no go. Hope you'll find someone who is interested! I think the best before dates on NI cat food is 6 months from manufacture, but I may be wrong, so ordering more food than the cat(s)'ll consume in 6 months is not ideal.

Am tempted to either a) invest in a meat grinder and follow rawcat recipe or b) invest in a chest freezer.

6. gloworm*mushroom

I dont think they do orders in the amount of ten thousand billion tonnes, which is the amount my cats would go through in 6 months :D

7. carolmanycats

carolmanycats PetForums VIP

That's a brilliant idea - sadly I am not near enough but perhaps we could draw up a geographical list of people interested to see if there are any potential "food buddy" pairs or groups??

i would be interested if anyone was within a reasonable distance of junction 29 of the M6!

8. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Great idea :) I'd like to try some Natural Instinct but often have little space in my freezer as a result of it being crammed with the usual meat mine have.

Be happy to meet up with anyone within, say, 30 mins drive of Junctions 9/10 of the M20.

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Why not 'lobby' your local vets and pet food stores to see if they will stock the range.....:p

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh, who is a clever clogs this morning! That is a great idea. :yesnod:

Ok, let's see. Say you have two 4kg cats - they can each eat between 80 - 120g of raw a day. So, for sake of easy calculations, say your cats eat 2.5% of their body weight in raw a day and weigh 4kg - so they eat 100g each a day. So, one tub (400g) would last you 2 days. So that is just under 3.5 tubs a week. 14 tubs a month and 84 tubs for 6 months. If you have kittens, well they can eat as much as they like so the above doesn't apply.

Personally, I would still feed some commercial food once a week or a couple of times a week or even more often considering that this is only one flavour - ie. chicken (with beef heart). So essentially you are only feeding one protein source - not ideal in my book. So, by still feeding either some other raw food or some good quality wet food you are broadening the nutritional base.

Variety is the spice of life!

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I really wish that raw foods were more widely available in stores/vets....but if we don't ask for them, no one will think of stocking them! PAH all have freezer cabinets for the ( rather poor quality ) frozen dog food they offer, so the sky is the limit!

12. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I wish more stocked a better variety too. I think it's a case of lobbying people to, in turn, lobby the shop! Had this recently with a particular brand of chicken feed and, excuse the pun, but it was very much a chicken and egg sitation with the animal feed store saying they'd stock it if enough people asked for it. A handful of us bombarded a few chicken/poultry keeping forums for the local area and a few months later, hey presto.

It would be SO good to have the convenience of a complete raw food available in somewhere like P&H.

13. gloworm*mushroom

My kittens are very annoyed you are advocating me underfeeding them. They want at least 1kg a day! :p

Thats good to know though thank you! I could maybe order 20 at a time, 1 1/2 months worth hopefully!

14. kerfuffle

84 tubs is 33.6kg. Free shipping for 40+kg (100 packs), so need 3 cats in total to help with this and a giant freezer. :p

Still waiting for the day my cat doesn't think he needs 300-400g of raw food per day to survive. He gobbles a 80g portion up first thing in the morning and then puts on a sad face and says he's still a growing boy, can he have some more? He'll go through more raw (by weight) than he does with commercial food like Smilla or Bozita or A. Carny, but I wonder if that's just because he likes the taste better. He likes blood, we've found.

Does NI dog food get sold at commercial pet stores like Pets@Home? I ask because I know it's easier for companies to stock up different products from the same supplier when they place an order through, whereas setting up new suppliers can be more of a faff and some companies don't like doing so if it's not proven to be profitable.

15. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

I checked my P@H freezer about 2 days ago and all they stocked was Prize Choice and Natures Menu for dogs, both I believe are sold through Prize Choice so I imagine that's why.

Edit: Should really learn to read, now I'm even more depressed about how many frozen raw suppliers they have in the US.

16. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Erm....are you sure you don't own MY cat?! :eek: :p

17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Links
    There are of course already some vets/shops stocking Natural Instinct products, and this one
    Mobile Pet Foods Ltd
    delivers to a wider London and south east area for a very reasonable charge of only £2.95 and with NO minimum order!

#17 Paddypaws, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  18. kerfuffle

If it were any other forum, I might say the cat has been a part-timer cat to two households, but since I don't let my cat out... he may have invented a teleporter and hidden it behind the couch. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice