Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone here with experience having a former mistreated cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by my fat cat, Jan 2, 2012.

1. my fat cat

my fat cat PetForums Newbie

Hi all :)
    I'm new here, thanks for a great forum.

Well, I got my cat from a shelter. She was rescued from a home were she's been badly mistreated. The only thing she got there was food. I saw some pics from there, Oh the horror! It was so filthy:(

I want to know if anyone here have any experience with that.
    Because she is a bit weird in some ways.
    She doesn't have a bed, because she doesn't want one. I've put great efforts into making one, but no. I've had cats all my life, and I've never had a cat which didn't want a bed.

She's an indoor ca. I know most cats love to sit and look out the window. She gets all panicky if I place her in the window sill. So I'm having a hard time stimulating her. We play a lot, she loves to play fetch, but I'm scared that she will get bored, and will start to have behavioral problems.

Besides from that, she's very, very affectionate (no compalints there:D )

Hope someone will share their experiences with me

-Mette

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

All I can say it give it time - let her choose the pace at which you go - don't place her on the window ledge let her discover it she may never like it and that's okay. If she plays and is affectionate then you are doing fine - just let her be herself - there is no reason why she should develop behavioural problems. I have loads of cat beds around the house - mainly my cats choose to sleep on the sofa or my bed - it's not a problem. Some cats don't like lots of stimulation it makes them anxious - as I say, just let her be herself and take her time - she may always be how she is now and that's fine too.

3. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

my Mabel was thrown from a car at about 40mph 4 years ago - she's physically recovered but still terrified of cars - as an indoor cat she is very content and although shy very affectionate now

just take everything at her pace and she'll soon open up and explore things like looking out the window at her own rate

4. my fat cat

I'll do that, I just want my kitty to feel as good as possible :D
    It breaks my heart to think of how badly she was treated for 3 whole years, I just want the best for her.

Thanks for your replies :D

5. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Bloody Hell :(
    I have no idea but I'm happy she's finally safe and loved. :)

6. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to pf Mette x

Its good that you have re-homed a rescue. We have had two from our local rescue. Lilly was there, i think - so they tell me - because of a relationship breakup. With Jet they told us 'he was there because he made a mess!. Whereas lilly is outgoing, jet is more of a nervous cat, also he tends to prefer 'men' hes awfully nervous if you go to stroke him on tbe head, he tends to put his head down and trie to move out if the way.

Id like to think that he was not mistreated, but with rescues, you fully know the background.

Well done you for taking her on - just be patient with her and let her bond with you in her own time, you will be rewarded tenfold.

Whats her name btw, - any pics :) x

7. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

wow poor Mabel, you must have had to pay her a lot of extra attention at the begining. I DON´T KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE SO HEARTLESS.

8. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

How awful IM - poor Mabel, am so glad that she found her forever home with an adoring slave xxx

9. Drakino

Drakino PetForums Junior

I've never known a cat who wanted a bed :D

My Charlie we rescued when a friend of Mum's found him and his mum living behind her niece's shed. She had the mum and we had him -- he was about three months or so, I think. Now he's eleven-ish, and is not called the wimpiest cat in the world for nothing! He's scared of pretty much everything, including me and Mum when we make sudden movements or loud-ish noises, who he's known for most of his life...

One of our old cats, Felix, adopted us when he moved in behind the play house in our back garden for a year or two. He didn't come into the house until we went on holiday and the person who was feeding the other cats for the week didn't leave food outside for him :D He turned into the most dopey creature ever, but it took him years before he would sit on our laps (we had to trick him by putting a newspaper there so he'd think he was sitting on the paper and not us for a year or so!), and he never ever liked being picked up. This was a bit of an issue as he was neutered late and had developed loads of muscles, so he was one hell of a strong cat, and trying to take him to the vets was a nightmare!

I think the point is, just give them time and care, and don't expect them to ever be "normal" :p

Waterlily likes this.
  10. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

same lol mine share my bed :D

11. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum.

Definitely as previously advised let her set the pace - patience and lots of TLC will bring her around in the end.

Have you a decent cat climber - perhaps something along these lines
    Olympus Collection Cat Trees at zooplus: Mindoro Cat Tree

This way she can play on it, sleep in it and feel safe as she can get high up.

Do post some pictures of her and keep us updated.:)

12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

My Fat cat.....the good news is that cats don't 'do' interior design.....so while her former home may have looked absolutely horrendous to you, it may well have functioned on a basic level for the cat.....I suppose I mean that living in a foul house doesn't always equate to being mistreated. I think the fact that she is an affectionate cat shows that hopefully there was no actual abuse in her former home.
    Still, there is 'sufficient' and there is super-duper- luxury with bells on ( which is how most PF members seem to prefer their cats to live )
    If she is the 'fat cat' of your avatar, then it may be that boredom led her to over eat, or that affection/interraction from humans only came in the form of food. She may show anxiety around food...some cats that have been neglected will feel uncomfortable unless there is food down all the time for example.
    Incidentally none of my cats has ever shown much interest in dedicated cat beds, they prefer my duvet or my clean washing to sleep on!
    Looking forward to hearing more about her and seeing some pics.

13. my fat cat

I can't believe how ppl can be so cruel to animals :mad:

Her name is mrs Lundgren XD After the action hero Dolph Lundgren, don't know if you've ever heard of him.. I kinda chose her, so i thought that my bf could name her :) She's very difficult to take pics of since she's black.
    lundgren1.jpg
    She's on a diet, haha, she was so fat when we got her, she'd been living in the shelter for 4 months, they fed her well :)

Glad to hear she's not too weird, haha, it's just she's very different from all other cats I've ever had..

Lundgren, and the other cats were living in their own feaces (or how to spell it), I'm in no way a neat freak, but their home was so nasty that they actually wrote an article in their magazine about it, showing pics. Fortunately I don't think she's ever been physically abused though

Attached Files:

#13 my fat cat, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  14. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

oh forgot to mention

Gypsy uses the Snuggle Bed I have out for her during the day and sleeps on my hip or by my feet at night but Mabel prefers to make a 'nest' in a duvet both day and on cat tree at night - Loki prefers the nest on a bed though he does use a bed at night now it's getting cold, he uses a cat tree during the day. Indy uses the cat tree both day and night

if you want her to use a bed - look where she likes to lie then put a bed there - high up and in good 'lookout' points for example Gypsy's Snuggle Bed is on a bookcase by the sitting room door

15. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Is it just me or does she seem extra fat for four months of normal food ? Maybe she wasnt so mistreated after all ? but lucky now nonetheless. :)

16. Simon's cats

Simon's cats PetForums Senior

My cats have never wanted or used a bed. They prefer the furniture or the floor. Countless beds or radiator beds have sat empty.

Cleo has been mistreated. We think she has been in a bag at some point as she is terrified and possibly hit and thrown as when we used to go and stroke her she used to cower and shake. She had obviously been thrown out when she became prgnant and had been found startving and heavily pregnant as a stray. She had a lot to deal with.

She used to toilet everywhere and hide and we considered returning her at one point as we felt she might be better with a female owner and no other cats as she was so terrified!

But we persevered and used zyklene and did things on her terms. She can still be nervous of sudden movements but changes week on week and is an amazing little cat!

17. my fat cat

Maybe, maybe not, it's just what we were told from the shelter.
    But the most important thing is that she's in a safe home now :)
    Although she might think we're evil since we don't fill up her food bowl whenever she wants us to :p

#17 my fat cat, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  18. Alfride

Alfride PetForums Senior

Hej Mette,

I wouldn't say my Rosie has been mistreated, but she was very affected, by spending the first year of her life, in a cage, at a shelter. It took her a month in her safe room before she dared leaving it. What she has taught me is to be patience and not pressure her into anything.

Both my late boy Cartman and Rosie never bothered with cat beds – my bed has always been preferred. Although this has not stopped me from just ordering a new catbed for her – because well, she would look so cute in it :)

Can I be nosy and ask which shelter you got Mrs Lundgren from? Because I got Rosie from Brande Internat and my god all the cats there were extremely skinny. I am pretty sure that is why Rosie is so food obsessed.

Mrs Lundgren is so cute, I am sure she is a great choice! I find that cats with a past (genbrugskatte) often makes for extra special cats, as they will appreciate your love just a tad more.

Anyway, welcome to the forum:) – It is a great place, especially the food section, so much to learn.

19. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Congratulations, and very well done, on your gorgeous, rescued, Lundgren - and oh yes, I deffo remember the rather scrummy namesake. ;) I also appreciate the difficulty of photographing black cats, being a slave to 2 of them.

Too many times, in the past, I have bought beds that were either used for a while & then ignored, ignored for a time and then used or ignored completely. I just left them lying around and they were there if required. Cats will sleep as they wish & where they wish. :)

Out of curiosity, may I ask what your are now feeding Lundgren? :)

20. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Hello Mette, welcome to the forum.
    Just let your cat decide what she wants and likes.... (except overeating, of course).
    She will have her reasons for not liking the window, so don't push her. Apparently she is very happy with you, she is affectionate and responds to you very well. That is great news. Many rescue cats are very wary of humans.

So it looks like the house was very much neglected, but she was treated with love and personal attention.
    Leave it up to her to discover her new world. If she dislikes the window, so be it.... Just love her and respond to her, and she will be fine. She will know very well how to tell you what she expects from you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice