Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone help?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lycara, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Lycara

Lycara PetForums Newbie

I have a female border collie and se is great but she must be the fussiest eater in the world. I have tried her on every food in pets at home thats is natural and has no crap in it. I have found a dry food that she likes the wainwrights with a few diffrent flavours so she is happy eating that (for now). I am having a problem with soft food had her and all of the natural ones in pets at home she likes them for about 2 weeks then she wont eat the food and unless she has soft food she likes in the bowl she wont eat the hard food:mad: So I am now not sure what to do I can go raw because we have 3 other dogs and would mean they all go raw and will cost a fair bit and the other dogs are my mum and dads. I am wondering if maybe I could try some raw frozen dog food but at 3-4 each seems expensive but as she will have the dry would she not need that much?

2. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

The Dog Food Company deliver to the south east, Rawtogo deliver pretty much anywhere. I spent £40 plus for 3 dogs and it lasted nearly a month (dog food company) I'd try her on some chicken wings and see if she enjoys them.

Raw feeding is not a fortune: whole rabbits split between my two pups last a day and cost £2 each. 500g of tripe can be as little as 36p and is enough for a day: if your girl weighs about 20kg, she'll need between 400-600g a day.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you tried throughly mixing in the soft food with the dry by hand so that its all coated, that sometimes works.
    Or otherwise add some warm water to it as well and mix it all up so it makes a "gravy". Usually when its warmed it activates the Meaty smells and sometimes that gets them interested too.
    You could even try just serving just dry sometimes, and sometimes adding some warm water to the kibble.

4. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Basically by changing and swapping you've taught her that if she doesn't eat what you give her, she'll eventually get something different. There's quite a few threads about fussy eaters and I'm afraid you'll need to be cruel to be kind here.

Pick the food you want her to have, put it in her bowl, leave it for 15 mins, if it isn't eaten take it up and don't give her anything at all till next meal time, no treats, scraps, nothing. Next meal time, put her meal down for 15 minutes again, if it's not eaten, take it up and give her nothing till next meal time. Eventually she'll get the message that if she doesn't eat what you give her, she gets nothing.

My eldest dog did this at 6 months, I swapped, changed and pandered to him until I was so worried I took him the vets. The vet told me to do the above. The dog missed three meals in total and has never done it again.

It's hard, and a worry but she wont starve herself. As I said, this is a case of being cruel to be kind. If you don't, you'll spend her entire life chopping and changing foods.

5. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

been there, done it and got the T shirt with my young BC bitch. We gave up with kibble as she would starve herself for 3-4 days at a time. We swopped onto wainwrights complete and then went completely raw about a month ago.

I use the minces from rawtogo and it costs me about £50 per month for three adult BCs.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I dont know which WW you are using but my son buys the rabbit. When you add water to this one, it makes more of a gravy than the others - dont know if that helps.

As mentioned with the wet, you could add water to it first so that it's v sloppy and then mix the kibble in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice