Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone heard of this raw brand?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LittleEms, Jan 29, 2021.

1. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

I know there are a few raw food brands that I have seen recommended here before such as purrform, but has anyone heard of Hug?

https://www.hugpetfood.co.uk/
    I got a 25% off voucher in a magazine that was gifted to me and it looks quite nice, though I still really a food newbie and know nothing about raw!

I am hoping to one day feed some raw to the kittens in the hopes it helps their sensitive tummies and any discount helps haha!

#1 LittleEms, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I have to say I've never heard of them and I've been feeding raw for a few years now. They say they've been around for several years on their website but I couldn't actually find when they started, and I'm pretty sure they'd have come up in the many, many searches I did for raw food over the years. That said their ingredients look ok, except I personally am not really happy that there is no bone content and they also add some herbs and seeds to their food.
    Pricewise it is marginally more expensive than Luna & Me (which is what I feed) and hugely more expensive than companies such as Kiezebrink etc, although the meat is probably better quality.

3. LittleEms

What do the bones add to it nutrition wise? (I am a total food newbie!)

I was also looking at Luna and Me, though I do like that the Hug can be cooked. Price isn’t an issue at the moment as I wasn’t planning to solely raw feed unless I can’t find a good commercial food that suits them. I assume it is okay to rotate between raw and commercial for different meals anyway?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

#4 chillminx, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Bone provides Calcium and also helps to firm the stool, amongst other things. You shouldn't really mix raw and commercial, particularly dry commercial as they are digested at different rates which could cause a problem. Having said that if you are feeding a high meat content wet commercial diet in addition to the raw you are not likely to have an issue.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@LittleEms - the Hug raw has the supplements already added to it, and many vitamins and minerals are not meant to be cooked, (especially e.g Omega 3 which is easily destroyed by heat). So I wouldn;t recommend cooking it.

7. LittleEms

Thanks @chillminx and @Tigermoon

Of course it’s calcium, silly me! The hug seems to have it added in, though I suppose it’s always better from bones?

They are and will always be on wet only. I plan to feed them on high meat content as they do have sensitive tummies, so I guess in the long run I may as well feed raw? I was just thinking that at least while they’re kittens and eating 4-5 meals a day they could have their supper as raw and the rest commercial.

I guess I will see how we go with commercial wet and then try raw only when they’re a bit older.

8. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

A breeder friend of mine feeds her kittens raw for breakfast and lunch and then commercial wet for the other two meals. She finds that they seem more satisfied having the raw in the morning, whereas when she just fed commercial they'd be asking for food much earlier. I will offer raw to mine if I feel they could do with a weight gain boost, and any kittens I am keeping for myself start on full time raw from 14 weeks of age.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice