Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone have any idea...

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Akai-Chan, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

On how to forage? For example what plants are good to eat, what should be avoided, when nuts etc are in season, how to dry out nuts and berries etc.

Completely natural recipies are also good :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Peace
    Akai-Chan

thedogsmother likes this.
  2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Excellent post Red, I will be watching this one. I saw someone picking blackberries today (in the rain), its the first time I have seen someone doing this in years and people used to do it all the time, soft fruit is so expensive so I might take the kids foraging during the holidays if you get enough good tips:D.

Akai-Chan likes this.
  3. Melysia

Melysia PetForums Member

I've always loved the idea of it. I'm not keen of berries we've got a raging rasberry bush(s) in our backgarden but I really don't like them :(.

Good place to look is..and his name has disappeared completley out of my head!!!

Oh no! Can't stand it when this happens. He's a bloke on T.V. Does similar stuff to that Bear Grylls but I think he's better! I'm so irritated at myself for forgetting his name.

Anyhow someone else may know who it is. He did a few programmes with another bloke who did a lot of foraging for mushrooms, talking about which were poisoness.

Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall always mentions a few good tips about foraging to.

I'd love to do it myself. The best places I know are country roadsides.

We've actually got a book about herbs that has all sorts of medicative qualities of herbs etc...somewhere lol

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ray Mears is the one you are looking for i think.

You need to be VERY careful when foraging for wild stuff, especially with fungi. Even if you follow a guide book, its easy to get wrong.

Best thing to do is try and find someone who is experienced, who can help "train" you a bit.

My Grandad used to live off the land. He loved it.

5. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Are you thinking of Ray Meras? :D

I'm only asking because next year I intend to spend nothing or very little on food, as in a few years time I'm going to be living as a nomad completely pretty much so i'm learning about stuff now :)

What I'm mainly looking for is plants that can be cooked without poisoning myself, when nuts come into season etc :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

[EDIT] Damn! You post ninja'd me Nonnie :D

#5 Akai-Chan, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  6. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I've found a forum that looks pretty good for this sort of thing... am I allowed to post a link to it here?

Peace
    Akai-Chan

7. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

8. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

9. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

As well as courses the link I gave shows how to tell edible plants from poisonous plants so is very useful.

10. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Aha I dind;t notcie that, Apologies and many thanks Toddy ^_^ I'll bookmark that for later reading :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice