Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone have an Airedale Terrier?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Apr 20, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Does anyone around here have an Airedale Terrier?

2. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I don't but they are really nice dogs :D

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yeah they seem nice. I don't really know much about them but my dad might be interested, so would really like to talk to someone with first hand experience :)

4. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Nope, only one i've really met wanted to rip my throat out so have a slight distaste for them. The dog was very lovely to everyone else but really had it in for me, it was at the shelter I worked at so thankfully he found a home pretty quickly because of how lovely and sweet natured he was :p

Fiance quite likes them, he's never met an aggressive one and he works in a dog care and boarding facility so comes across a few of them.

I must say i've seen some lovely looking ones with tails now, which is quite a treat to see :)

5. golfchick

golfchick PetForums Senior

met our first airedale yesterday and we went especially for Ziva to meet another dog and she was lovely! I can only tell you what the owner told me about this specific dog so perhaps not indicative of the breed as I've not met any others, she doesnt have a trustworthy recall at all so can only be let off in confined areas and she said that shes very stupid.

As I say this is what this owner told me about her dog from a perspective of her doing training every week and agility every week with her and this is her first airedale as they've had other dogs before.

Se was a lovely dog though, excellent temperament with Ziva, very calm and trying to entice her to play and bring her out of her shell.

6. crazyface

crazyface PetForums Newbie

We had one when I was a kid, he was a lovely dog, very daft and had a tendancy to escape if given the opportunity and he moulted a lot, needed quite a bit of exercise but was really friendly and a good family dog, very easy going and let my sis and I crawl all over him. My son's friend has one and he is exactly the same.

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Erm Airedales are non-shedding :rolleyes: Maybe he was crossed with something else?

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

That's interesting - they're actually supposed to be quite intelligent. I guess it shows the variation you can get in a breed maybe.

9. crazyface

He wasn't a cross he was KC Reg, and he moulted!

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Maybe there's something in the water in my area, as every single one ive met, and ive met a fair few, has been aggressive both to people and other dogs.

I cant even think of one exception :(

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks - that sort of thing is good to know.

12. crazyface

Just googled Airedales and shedding, and apparently if you dont have the coat stripped a couple of times a year they do shed it is all to do with grooming :001_smile:

Was just checking I remembered correctly, was a few years ago, Mum musn't have taken him to the doggy groomer.

13. SpringerHusky

Taken from 3 different sites, it seems they do shed but if you maintain the coat correctly it should be minimum to none.

14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh that's confusing! :confused:

15. SpringerHusky

They don't shed like normal dogs it seems they still have the hair type coat that is good for people with allergies.

16. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ok so I'll tell him he needs to make sure he keeps up with grooming if he went for this breed.

17. SpringerHusky

I think basically is what it means, just regular grooming :)

18. crazyface

Have rang my Mum, she said if we took him and had is coat cut and groomed professionally he didn't really shed, just a little bit like you would expect from a human, but if she didn't have it done professionally at least twice a year he did shed. Hope that clears it up for you.

19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks for that crazyface :)

20. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've never met an agressive one. Blu did get freaked by one because it appeared from nowhere but that's Blu for you!

One was next to us on Sunday and everytime I went to scissor the boys she started licking my ear because I wasn't giving her any attention :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice