Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone had neck problems?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kinjilabs, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Just asking because I have noticed today that Ted seems reluctant to raise his head above normal height, still trying to find out whats wrong with him! could he have a trapped nerve in his neck? but would that cause him tio lose the strength in his back legs? also on top of his neck feels quite hot! will obviously get vet to check this out but wondered if anyone ever had a dog with trappped nerves? this is driving me crazy:confused:
    Thanks,

2. rona

rona Guest

Your clutching at straws here aren't you? :(
    It must be heartbreaking.

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yep!!!! havent stopped bloody crying today1

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I assume from Rona's comment that there is something I am not aware of so this might not be relevant to your dog. But my standard poodle has had frequent attacks where her head wont come up to normal height and she is obviously in a lot of pain and moves very stiffly. It usually eases over a few hours. I also had a sheltie who had horrendous arthritis attacks. She went really rigid and would sometimes collapse and often be sick in fright. It was so frequent that the vet gave me cortisone injections to give her when it happened and she would then normally recover fairly quickly.

5. rona

rona Guest

I'm not surprised, it makes it even worse that the vet won't see him today, you could do with some support

6. RebeccaArmstrong

RebeccaArmstrong PetForums Senior

Hello
    sorry to hear your dog isnt well! obviously the best thing is to see the vet who can tell you exactly what is going on ... is it intermittent or can he completely not lift up his head?

Is he able to move his legs and walk or is it just that he is a little weaker.

The fact that there is heat coming from his neck may actually indicate there is a muscular problem - has he had any injury or fall recently??

Becky

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Have you had him tested for meningitis? my friends whippet had it and found it hard to move her head and her neck was very hot.

8. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Harry frequently gets neck probs due to emergency stops at hi speed.
    We use a chiropracter which sorts him out.
    I havent ben on much lately so am not aware of the full story, but if u need any help,advice or support I am glad to give it x

9. davehyde

davehyde Banned

couple of articles here , but i would try and get to a vets sooner rather than later if it is causing the dog pain and you concern.

is there another vet in your area you can go to in an emergency or a number you can ring?

in the meantime try and keep the poor thing as rested as possible and try not to allow them to move around too much until you know thw cause of the pain / problem.

how old is the dog, how active, any bumps or tumbles, any previous history?

these are things to consider and advise the vet of.

maybe half an aspirin might help the pain relief.

Neck and Back Pain in Dogs

Symptom Checker: dog, cat, canine, feline symptom checker

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice