Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone had experiences with sick kittens?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by SandyK, Jul 30, 2020.

1. SandyK

SandyK PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new to pet forums and I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently adopted a very young kitten who lost his mum, he was 2-3 weeks old when we got him. Everything was great with little Samuel Spratt (Sammy) until a few days ago when he was 7 weeks old, he started vomiting and despite a checkup and antibiotics from the vet, this continued until he was eventually rushed back to the vet very weak and dehydrated the next morning. He was given IV fluids and some glucose but remains hypothermic and extremely lethargic.

The vet still doesn't exactly know what's wrong with him, but thinks it was/is some kind of bowel obstruction, the cause of which remains a mystery - he could have eaten something; he could have had an accidental injury; he could have a congenital problem. He wants to keep him for a few more days to keep him stable and try to get his temperature up. He is no longer vomiting, is eating a little, and did a little poop this morning. The vet is being very guarded about the situation- and also I'm based in France so the language barrier is a problem with my French being tres basique.

Basically I am very worried. I love this little dude and I am desperate for him to recover. But I also want to be realistic for my 4 year old son, who is waiting for his best bud to come home. Is there anyone out there with experience of having a young kitten with a bowel obstruction? (I know they are so much more fragile than grown cats so I am looking specifically for kitten stories please). And / or recovery for kittens who seem incredibly weakened after illness. I saw him today and, although the vet said he was a bit better today, he was so limp he wouldn't even unfold his paws without help ;(

Any voices of experience would be very welcome right now. Thanks for reading.

2. SandyK

SandyK PetForums Newbie

...probably should have mentioned that I also am not sure of treatment options that are available, so any advice on how to advocate for his care with the vet would be really welcome!

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I am sorry to hear that your little kitten is unwell.
    An obstruction could be caused by a variety of things but I think your vet is right in wanting to get Sammy stable first. I would be looking at the vet doing an ultrasound scan and/or x-ray to see if there is any visible object. It could also be an intusussepection, where part of the intestine folds in on itself. This can be treated but in such a tiny and already weak kitten I would be prepared for the worst to be honest :(
    Scanning should help to give a clearer idea of what the problem is.
    Keeping everything crossed for the little mite x

SandyK and OrientalSlave like this.
  4. StinWom

StinWom PetForums Newbie

@SandyK I'm sorry to hear your kitten is so poorly... I am French and can help with the translation if you get your vet to write down what he thinks it is, do not hesitate! Good luck, I hope he'll get better soon!

SandyK, chillminx and lymorelynn like this.
  5. kajag

kajag PetForums Junior

This is a good sign imo. It might not even be obstruction.

As already suggested, x-ray or ultrasound are the first steps. Then bloodwork. Also keep in mind that some vets are not truly keen on diagnosing so maaaybe go to a different vet.

SandyK likes this.
  6. SandyK

SandyK PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all the kind words and advice. He has been scanned a few times both xray and ultrasound but the vet couldn't see what was going on, just a vague sphere / bulge which he thought might be a blockage. I've had another update today that his temperature went up a bit, but he vomited again and hasn't done another poop. So the vet was saying he thinks it is a congenital problem and that there's nothing to be done. After that call, I got my French friend who speaks both perfect English and her native French to explain my concerns to the vet and tell him we thought he may have ingested some plastics as we found some under the bed that had been torn at / shredded. We also explained that he had been pooping fine the week before he got sick and had been a strong an healthy kitten. So after that he has suggested we try surgery although it is risky - the only other option is to wait and see (but it's been 4 days of that so far) or put him down. He's pretty miserable, but I don't want to not give him a chance, if it's a realistic possibility. Surgery is tomorrow, so fingers crossed. I've warned my boy that Sammy might not be coming home...I'll be devastated though if that's the case ;( he's a lovely wee thing.

#6 SandyK, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  7. SandyK

SandyK PetForums Newbie

That is really sweet of you thank you!

StinWom likes this.
  8. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Wishing Sammy all the best for tomorrow. I understand what a worry it must be for you.

SandyK likes this.
  9. SandyK

SandyK PetForums Newbie

Thank you for this - the term intussusception was a really helpful lead and could explain the intermittent symptoms - like it's not a full blockage, all the time but definitely causing problems. I am preparing for the worst, but hoping against hope that he pulls through. Thanks again!

10. SandyK

SandyK PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much. I will let you know what happens and if we get any answers from the surgery to feed into the hive mind...I couldn't find any info on prospects for kittens with this problem at all so maybe it will help others with the same question later.

11. SandyK

SandyK PetForums Newbie

Just an update that Sammy did a HUGE poop overnight apparently, the vet said he seems better and that we can come for a visit today :D so not straight to surgery now, the vet sounds very relieved and pleased, as we are too...fir the moment anyway. He's not out of the woods yet, but we are feeling a lot more hopeful. Thanks for the good thoughts they obviously worked! :) :) :)

12. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Sending lots of good wishes for Danny's continued recovery

SandyK likes this.
  13. SandyK

SandyK PetForums Newbie

Hi just an update that Sammy is back from the vet today! He's a bit skinny but eating well and very affectionate. We are having lots of cuddles the vet thinks is was an injury of some kind which caused inflammation and bowel obstruction. There is no visible problem now and he hasn't vomited for 4 days so hopefully it's upwards from here. I will keep an eye out for any more symptoms though as it's possible it was an intermittent problem with intussusception. I won't leave him without a check up if he has any more digestive issues. Thanks to everone who commented and sent good wishes to my kitty - we are all delighted to have him home.

Attached Files:

kajag, Beautiful Storm, SbanR and 2 others like this.
  14. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Good news. I hope Sammy continues to do well without any further issues.
    He's a little poppet :Cat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice