Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Anyone got photos of their GSD in a Julius K9 harness

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bella777, Jan 17, 2019.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Not a GSD but my girl has the traditional red, as well as light purple. She never escaped from one, but then again she’s not really the sort of dog who would try to.

2. Bella777

Bella777 PetForums Junior

Do you have a photo of the purple? I was also considering that colour

Thank you

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I do somewhere, give me a moment to find it.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Apologies but I can find neither the harness nor any photos of it! It's a nice colour though!

5. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

We have red and orange ones here. I love the velcro accessories, Izzy has girlpower on her orange one and Jasper has love on 4 legs and ball junkie :D

I think the pink or purple would look lovely :)

6. Bella777

Oh no worries thank you for looking

7. Bella777

Haha thank you I love the accessories as well :)

8. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

I use them for my boys - not GSDs, but definitely long coated!! we have Blue, Kiwi and Red, my ex's pup wears a black one. My youngest used to shrug out of his by pulling backwards as a pup, but he hasn't lately and neither of the newfies ever tried. I like the simplicity of putting them on and off, and the handle is really useful (either for grabbing quickly to walk past bikes/dogs/horses, or for helping a little with balancing/lifting/jumping down over stiles/walls etc.

Magyarmum likes this.
  9. Bella777

Thats good to hear, I was a bit worried about their coat

Yeah the harnesses are really practical apart from the possible issue that they could slip out but I'm sure they will be fine

If I got a boy, I would of got red - I'm just going to go for the light pink and see how it turns out :)

10. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Would you mind posting this assessment please?
    My own assessment and the link I posted shows how the harness restricts the shoulder moving so I would be interested in seeing how this other assessment disagrees and why they disagree.

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Agreed, I'd be interested in reading it as well as the physio's I've seen over the years with my dogs have all been critical of the design & concerned with range of movement particularly in larger dogs such as GSD's.

With so many harnesses available (as mentioned the Perfect Fit is a great design) I don't understand why people continue to use these .....

O2.0, Jamesgoeswalkies and StormyThai like this.
  12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

O2.0 and StormyThai like this.
  13. Bella777

Hi,

This is the link
    http://patronuskutya.hu/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/JULIUS-K9®-IDC®-Powerharness-movement.pdf

I typed in on google "K9 harness restriction of movement" when I was trying to find out some information about it and this was the only information I could find that which had an aim, test condition, methodology etc

I do agree with what @BlueJay said about how it "would be interesting to see a study on gait in different harnesses with pressure on the lead." as the link above shows the performance of the lead on race dogs

Would it be possible to the the link you posted?

Thank you

14. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I hate to be a stickler for the details but that "study" is completely flawed because measuring race times does not show if the shoulder is restricted or not.
    It's not about how fast dogs can run in the harness, it's about having a strap across your chest making it harder to open up the shoulders.

Harnesses are an individual thing so it's completely up to you which way you go, but that study does not prove what you think it proves I'm afraid.

Sarah H, O2.0, Cleo38 and 2 others like this.
  15. Bella777

Do you have a "study" that shows that the K9 harness prevents freedom of movement and makes it harder for dogs to open their shoulders?

16. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

O2.0, Cleo38, Torin. and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bella777

Magyarmum likes this.
  18. Bella777

I only asked for photos of GSD wearing the harness...this forum is too opinionated sometimes..

Chatcat and Magyarmum like this.
  19. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I don't have a GSD but a dog of similar build and I didn't like the JK9. Whether you believe it restricts movement or not, I felt it was to tight, to hot underneath the saddle area during/after exercise and to restrictive. Personally, I think they always look tight & uncomfortable on long haired dogs. I mean, they're hugely popular & loads of people use them on their dogs, but I think there are definitely better alternatives out there. I used mine about three times in all & then switched to a Mekuti which was much better. If you like the look of the JK9 but don't like the saddle area ( which is my issue with it ) then the belt version is worth looking at as an alternative maybe?

O2.0 and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  20. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Everyone means well, but I don't think it would sit right if dog lovers deliberately held back information like that :).
    I use a Julius K9 belt harness on my elderly dog because it doesn't sit on or near any of his lumps.

There's a fair amount of images if you google German Shepherds wearing one, or maybe their FB page would have some.

O2.0, Cleo38, Magyarmum and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice