Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

anyone got a newfi,

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxwelshcrazyxx, Jul 5, 2009.

1. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Do anyone have a newfoundland, my hubby loves them so do I but we need alot of information on them: The drooling slobber, feeding, grooming, excersise, feeding, behaviour, general looking after one. Thank you

2. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

In terms of drooling a lot, and the amount of grooming and shedding too I would imagine. The one thing thats putting me off getting them 1 heavy shedding dog around is enough. General behaviour they're big soppy happy dogs love everyone.

4. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

YouTube - Dogs 101: Newfoundland
    This should help :D

I have met some newfies and actually was going to have one but sadly there was none around that I could get to locally, I hope to own one later in life, I think they are fantastic dogs :D

5. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Thanks for the link, I will look at them now.
    I was talking to a woman who said she took her two newfie's to the beach with her husband, he sat on a deckchair with the handle of the leads under each end of the deck chairs while his wife went for a swim, as soon as she got into the water (the newfies were watching her all the way) they took off together much to the shock of the husband as he was left upside down on the sand with his feet in the air, as the dogs bounded their way to the water and jumped in and grabbed the wife and dragged her out. How funny is that. She said she have to lock the bath room door as they keep coming in and getting her out of the bath. I will be looking into this breed and reading up on them for a while yet before we dicide to get one next year. They are lovely looking dogs mind, just like big teddy bears.

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Well they were bred to be doggy lifeguards essentially along with pulling the fishermens nets etc and they do have very strong instincts in that area. I would have them in a heartbeat if they didn't drool and shed so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice