Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone Good with Identifying Breeds

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ThisIsketts, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ThisIsketts

ThisIsketts PetForums Newbie

Hi, me and my partner have been wracking our heads trying to figure out what breed our dog is, We rescued him at 3 months and was told he was a Beagle cross with a Jack Russel. The story we were told is that he was smuggled in from Ireland to be a hunting dog and somehow ended up in a kill shelter where an amazing woman rescued him but couldn't keep him due to moving soon and her dog started producing milk. He is now 1 year old, stupidly energetic, once tired out 4 labs and still wanted to play, so far we have considered Egnlish Foxhound cross, American Foxhound cross, Harrier cross with Lab etc. We know he is a hunting/hound dog he points, howls, has a nose on him and has a lot of stamina.
    Here is a couple of images of him.
    Ridley 2.jpg Ridley.jpg

We are looking at getting a DNA test done next month maybe a Wisdom Panel 3.0 to confirm our suspicions and get some medical info too. Not to sure what other DNA tests there is out there and which are good and bad. He is our first dog.

ais_rose and fernlady like this.
  2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF

Beagle/Lab cross, he's very cute what ever he is.:)

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Could be a beagle crossed with an English pointer, lovely looking dog

4. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Could easily be as you were told. I'm sure the panel results will be interesting though :)

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I can see Beagle in him I think, but also Jack Russell in his face.

He could well be the cross you were told he is.

6. ThisIsketts

ThisIsketts PetForums Newbie

haven't really considered a pointer, and yeah he is a cutey, everyone around where I live loves him.

Yeah, He just doesn't really display any Jack Russel traits, He wants to play with everyone and every other dog he see's, he does have a strong drive to get birds, foxes and hedgehogs, he almost got a hedgehog the other day, also has a mohawk that pops up when he sense's something that he feels might be a threat. I'm interested too, will defo post up the results on here when I get them. Allways interesting to see.

He could be, as I said above he just doesn't show any Jack Russel traits, Defo getting the wisdom panel next month. need to figure this out.

Thanks for the sugesstions

7. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

@ThisIsketts we carried out a Wisdom Panel DNA test on Mylo purely out of curiosity. We were very pleased with the results.

8. leashedForLife

the predatory streak is defo a terrierrist trait, JRT or any other.
    :)
    I could easily see JRT x Beagle, very interested to see the DNA results.

- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice