Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone from outside the UK?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Starlite, May 24, 2010.

1. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Warm countries i mean, how do you keep your dogs cool?

I have a swimming pool out the back and the back door open 24/7 as my garden is always half in shade. She is only walked in the very early morning and late evening in this weather,
    but i am curious as to how people in countries like Spain and the Med etc keep their dogs cool,
    especially arctic breeds :)

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

With difficulty lol. Harvey tends to only get a walk in the evening as it's too hot in the morning. I let him in the garden for short periods, but call him in after 15 mins or so. He got a sunburnt nose the other week, so now putting sun creeam on nose and inner ears. He was born here so maby he tolerates the heat a bit better as he doesn;t get grouchy, but then I don;t leave him out long enough. He gets a run for an hour and a half in the evening at about 7 ish, and a lead walk to meet the OH at 10.
    He does drink plenty so we are lucky there, but he hates swimming, so a pool in the garden wouldn;t help :rolleyes:

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Its 50 c here. I'd have to walk them very late at night, (or very early morning) and have a pool. There are some good cool coats around for dogs too.

4. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Blimey and I thought we had it hot :eek6: Mere 37c here today

5. zoeoli

zoeoli PetForums Junior

The thing is, when high temperatures are the norm, everyone lives accordingly ... houses and habits are adapted to it. For example, my old house has half-metre thick stone walls and it takes an awful long time for the heat to work its way through them. You quickly lose the British habit of opening windows when it's warm ... windows and shutters are kept firmly closed during the heat of the day, and opened up at night to let the cooler air through the house. No-one goes out in the middle of the day either.

An average dog will easily adapt, and local dogs have known no different.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to have a cold-climate dog here, although there are plenty of Husky types around and they seem to survive OK.

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

live in Cyprus.
    walk early morning, tiny 3 minute toilet walk at lunch, and very long off lead walk involving a drive in the afternoon (6 or later) and then around the block at night.
    We have aircondition in the house.
    Bella is let out as she pleases during the day, but she can always come into the aircondition when she chooses.
    To keep busy we do training indoors and playing indoors during the day, and she also comes along in the car when we go to friends/relatives/cafes etc.
    We have also been to the beach a couple of times but this is an hour away, so we don't go too often.

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Ice cubes and wet towels also provide a fun way of keeping cool!

8. leashedForLife

when the real heat sets in, it is 85-degrees-F and over 80% humidity, so dogs cannot safely self-regulate.
    it can be that hot + sticky at 2-am, let alone 3-pm on a sunny day; 90 to 100 with 90% humidity is not rare.

cooling mats (with absorbent crystals inside) to lie on, and cooling-booties which can be put on the dogs feet,
    help considerably - walking across a black tarmac parking-lot on July is like crossing a griddle -
    the booties save the poor dogs feet from frying.

walking in shade as much as possible, avoiding full-sun; avoiding PAVED surfaces which absorb + reflect;
    keeping them well-hydrated with water from a jacketed bottle; they all help.

not exercising the dog heavily in anything over 75-degrees is a good idea -
    i see people who jog their poor dogs on 90-degree days, and think they are insane -
    the human is dripping sweat, and the poor dogs tongue is down by their wrists. :nonod: unsafe,
    and IMO, un-kind as well.
    they often carry NO water for the dog! even if they do not need it, the dog *does*, and inconvenient tho it is,
    carrying water is a must if U are out for more than 15 to 20-mins, let alone running.

shade is an underappreciated blessing, in this area - the cities i think, vie with one another to see who can pave
    the largest parking-lots, or cut down the most trees.
    (a 30-ft shade tree is the equivalent of a 3-ton air-conditioner -
    and replacing it with a half-dozen crepe-myrtles is a sick joke :( )

stay as safe + comfy as possible,
    --- terry

9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

In Farenheit, its 122 during the day, and in mid summer is about 90 at 6am here. Pools offer the best chance of any exercise.

10. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

My dog's fave summer treat:

take a lunchbox (or even just a freezer bag) and line with a freezer bag. Add stock or plain water and throw in some chicken, hotdog, treats, even tennis balls if he is a toy-nut and freeze.

Place in freezer and give to hot doggies to work on while in the shade :cool:

11. leashedForLife

do i have the wrong place, luv? :huh:

i couldn;t get weather.com to put up *Carlton, Stockton-on-Tees*, so i entered *Middlesbrough* as next-best -
    Middlesbrough Weather Forecast and Conditions United Kingdom

its 52-degrees-F today - then i entered *average climate of Middlesbrough, UK* and got this
    Middlesbrough, England Weather - Current Conditions, Forecasts, and Maps

from the graph, August is the hottest month on average, annually, and it is under 20-degrees-C -
    according to Googles calculator, 20 degrees Celsius = 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
    thats about 70, which is slightly cooler than comfortable in the shade, for naked-apes, but very comfortable in the sun -
    and is very-comfy in shade for dogs, but for a black dog especially, full sun all-day or for several hours would be
    uncomfortable, but free-play with an opportunity to seek shade would be fine, all day.

i will trade U climates, hun... :thumbup: wanna swap?
    --- terry

12. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

:lol: The UK would melt if they had 122 f temps, it would cause more chaos than the snow. Luvmydogs is on hols in Saudi, but moving back out there soon. :)

13. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

:lol:Yes, you do.

Correct. :thumbup:

14. leashedForLife

that explains it! :lol: i had gone to the kennel-website to figure out where we were talking about, and was *really*
    puzzled - i thought maybe the wrong F to C formula was used. :laugh:

15. leashedForLife

now i;m with ya! :lol: not literally, but i can see why its over-120-degrees. :001_cool:

at least houses there are usually designed for the climate - here in Tidewater VA, they ignore climate -
    the houses are built with all their big windows on the front wall, even if it faces due south, with NO awnings
    or any deep-sill setback or a porch to shade them...

they build horribly inefficient houses that have poor attic insulation, suck AC in torrents, and bleed heat in winter.
    :huh: its so weird - they throw New-England-saltboxes or Bauhaus-apt-buildings around like doll-houses,
    as if the real world was a Xmas diorama in someones basement, with a steady temperature. :blink:

have a lovely holiday, :)
    --- terry

16. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

We are not posh enough for AC. Just expensive to run fans :rolleyes: Still tempted to buy a pool for him and encourage him in with loads of treats. OH suggested teaching him to swim in the bath :rolleyes: It's half the size of a normal bath :lol:

17. leashedForLife

i tried to avoid AC for 3-days, several weeks ago -

my apt has 1 East-facing window, 1 south-facing window, + 1 that faces West-Southwest.
    then there are 3 that face North-east, all on one long wall in 2 rooms.
    after an 80-degree day, WITH all blinds shut AND insulated drapes across the WSW-window in the living-room,
    the temp continued to climb until 9-pm, when it was 88-degrees in my living-rm,
    and 72-degrees outside. :eek:

so i opened the windows until 6-AM - and woke to see a fine coating of green-yellow-gray oily pollen,
    on EVERYthing. phooey... AC really is not optional, here -

the air is so soggy, papers, books + clothing, even furniture gets damaged by the moisture.
    --- t

18. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I have to say, Leashed - its a bit weird that you checked my website out to see if I was telling the truth :confused: I haven't given you any reason to doubt me, have I? :confused1:

19. leashedForLife

What?! :lol: luv, U dingbat -
    i checked the website so i could see where the kennel was, it was stupid-o-clock in the UK -
    i was only trying to figure out where U lived, which obviously was no help, :lol:
    cuz U are not there now.
    it has nothing whatever to do with doubting U - and i did not know U were on vacation till i came here,
    at 10:30 or so, EDT.

i have no doubt in U whatever - i was just puzzled. :p i thought it was a math error - wrong formula, something?
    don;t fret, hun - U are fine, + i was simply confused.

i apologize for the upset, please don;t worry; it was just a misapprehension on my part.
    all my best,
    --- terry

20. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

:thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice