Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone ever done their own 'Shabby Chic' paint jobs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DoubleTrouble, Apr 5, 2011.

1. If so what where the results like?
    Where you pleased with th finish
    Do you have any tips - or good internet links?
    Thanks in advance
    DT:)

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Why bother??
    I find once the pets are through with my home improvements they look pretty shabby anyways!!LOL:D

3. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

My mom and dad always do their own and as long as wallpaper isn't involved it looks great! The best thing is looking through the colour books :D I remember this suede effect paint they had in a mullberry colour one year. Absoloutley gorgeous.

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Never done it but seen plenty of really bad ones on e bay. It's really hard to get right IMO and if you don't it can just look shabby "****" as i call it :eek:

What piece of furniture is it ??

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Ooh I thought you meant the walls! Never mind me then!

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I think one man's shabby chic is another man's trash. I've never found something I like that anybody else does and vice versa. I think the whole shabby chic concept is pointless because its quite personal as to how shabby you like it and is just trash to a lot of people.

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

we did my Great Grandma's solid wood chest of drawers because they were horrible!:D i wanted to keep them because they had sentimental value to me they were my Nans after my Grandma died,....soooo anyway! i rubbed them down and my oh rad rollered them in white and put black knobs on...i love em now:), i got a lovely painted shabby chic dresser of ebay aswell:p

8. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Can't help professionaly, however if you want to achieve the same effect as hubs got on our garden bench...............

Buy a can of stain your wife dislikes and is not the colour you were sent for, but insist that it will look ok :mad:
    Do not sand down said bench before staining :rolleyes:
    Apply in cloudy weather, and put at least one more coat on before 1st coat is dry :nono:
    Dash indoors when it hammers down and leave bench to go all streaky. :blink:

I actually liked the result although it wasnt as hubs intended. :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. The main bathroom Rainybows! We are about to start it! I shall post a piccy later! then you can all see wot a durty girl I am:eek::eek::eek:

10. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

So you want to achieve a shabby chic "look" in the bathroom ??

If that is the case it's ALL about the accesories ;) Show me the room and i will point you in the right direction ;)

Soft Duck egg and cream is a nice combination or team it with white for a slightly fresher more up to date feel, The white regtangular french tiles look great.

Add pieces like this

bathroom cupboards. by serendipity | notonthehighstreet.com

add little hand made fabric drawstring backs in pretty fabrics to keep bits and bobs in (can send you a good fabric suppliers details too ;))

11. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

12. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

13. Rainy bows! we are stuck with the current wall tiles and suite! OH will just NOT replace the tiles - they may not look expensive but they cost a fortune! Cannot convince him that the room is past its sell by date!

Here is the room from all four corners!

The tile in the corner is what we are having on the floor! thats a definate!
    The pin floral paper is also going on that sink wall!
    The bath canopy is going and a curved shower screen is going up there! Also - the gold fittings are going I think ! (dispite his objections) and being replaced with cheap ones (them bath taps cost £700 and are guaranteed for life) all the dark wood is what I want to change to shabby chic!

DT

Attached Files:

14. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Your throne actually looks like a throne raised up like that

15. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

16. I normally wear a crown when I am seated there too!:D:D:D

17. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Put something plain behind that sink unit too or it will look too busy if you are keeping those tiles.
    ;)

18. Almost forgot! the mirrow is going - already brought a new one and the orrible light to it is being replaced with a chandalair

19. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

The mirror could have stayed lol :D

20. The tiles are actually a pale green and a darker green rainybows
    My ideas are
    To bring in the wallpaper with the big pink posys on the sink wall - I want to draw the eye there and not to the other three walls, pretty confident this can work as the background to that paper is identical to the tiles I am planning for the floor

The woodword I want ivory - with pink undertones
    Do you think this could work?
    The gold is going - being replaced with chrome
    bath canopy (does normally have drapes round it) is going and a shower screen is planned the end opposite the taps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice