Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone else who have cats which are siblings?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Tobacat, May 4, 2010.

1. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I just wondered how other peoples cats that are brothers/sisters get on? I have a female cat who loves her house and her brother who loves the outdoor life. Lottie often sits by the catflap preventing Toby coming in. If he walks past her, she often hisses at him, but if she pushes it he will turn around and attack her and she will loose the argument. She is on my lap nearly every night and he sits on me about once a month. The other night he was sat on me and Lottie came in and hissed at him and he went out. As Lottie spends a lot more time in the home, I guess she thinks shes top cat and her brother isn't welcome.

2. Elisia

Elisia PetForums Newbie

I have 3 cats, 2 of which are siblings and they act in the exact same way. Sootie the female cat is very loving and needy where as Pirate, the male cat prefers to be left alone and even sleeps outside but occasionally comes for cuddles. It happens the same way, sootie hisses at pirate and he ignores and then she pushes him too far and he oftens bites and scratches her untill she runs off sulking. The only suggestion i have which occasionally works is spraying or flicking water at the cat displaying agression, it distracts them and gives the "victim" time to flee. :) other than that i think its quite normal. :) good luck.

3. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I assume they're neutered/spayed?

I have two kitties that are twin brothers.... and they literally cant stand to be apart, if one is in a different room the other with follow. Gil doesnt like our bedroom for example, but if george comes in to sit with me on the bed, gil will follow but sit at the doorway. They will call for each other if they cant see one another... Until the hot weather, they would both try to still sit on my lap together (they're over 4kgs each so it is a V tight squeeze!). They will groom each other too. But they do play fight and chase each other - not visciously tho... touch wood!

4. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

My two are also male siblings, neutered - they get along very well. They don't need to be by each other's side all the time, but if they go outside and one returns first, he will wait outside, hiding patiently until the other comes back.

They are two years old, and still play fight and chase each other around the place. I hope they carry on like this for a long time to come!

5. kota

kota PetForums Member

I have many cats. They are all children of one cat - siberian. They are all brothers or sisters. They love each other. Sometimes they argue about eat, who will be the first to eat, but it's not serious. Only one of them Vaska wants to be always winner but runs away if his brother is stronger. I've also noticed that cats of the same color often become friends. They lick and treat each other. It's the only one thing, that they can't decide - who will be the main cat in the house (after their father's death in 2006).:)

6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Well my girl had 4 kittens in May, and we are keeping two of them ... both girls. I hope they continue to have the lovely relationship they all have now.

Funny you should say that! My girl had a blue/cream, blue self and 2 Lilac Torties. The torties have stuck together since day one more or less, and the other two them same! They also seem to have similar personalities between the two pairs too. Not to mention the 'blues' look ever so much like mum and the 2 lilacs look like thier dad.

I wonder if there is anything in the colour thing!

7. kota

kota PetForums Member

I should say more - long-haired cats get friends with long-haired and always sit together. And the same with short-haired!

8. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

I have 4 cats and three of them are brothers. I only had two of the brothers but then my neighbour died and i ended up with the other brother.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice