Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone else suffer OCD?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Acacia86, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi all, does anyone else suffer from OCD of any sort? I do with cleaning and sorting. Everything has to be lined up and stuff in my cupboards. I can't help constantly tidying and cleaning etc i also have to wash my hands a lot.
    I hate it, i am on tablets to try to clam it down, this is my 5th lot so i have everything crossed this time that they will work.

It all started when i was pregnant for Lexie, and i had the 'nesting' issue for the last month..........but it never stopped lol!!
    x

2. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Not me personally although i do hate clutter etc...

I do hope the medication works :)

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Yes, very much so. i'm not one for cleaning but i know where it is and if it's moved i'll know it. I'm on the comps to calmmyself as soemone moved my bag to sit in my seat while I nipped to the loo, I was furious and know loosing my temper won't help. I always sit in the same seat and will shoot allot of dirty looks to anyone who dares sit in it :cool:

My O/H is the same only much worse, I was evil at xmas. He gave me a box of colouring pencils all in order, I pulled 'em oyut and put them in the wrong order, it was like nails on a chalkboard to him :001_tt2:

4. Anon

Anon PetForums Newbie

Im the same as you!! i dont stop cleaning lol

5. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

My sister in law is having a hard time with OCD at the moment. This has got much worse since the birth of her son, who is 18 months old now. She is obsessed with painting the inside walls of her house, obsessed with her own baby and other people's babies, does thinks like turning the butter round in the fridge x number of times - if she doesn't she thinks something very bad will happen. Also she is very repetitive and will have the same conversations over and over again (a bit like ground hog day). She is under the psychiatrist and is on medication. It's a shame really because it is affecting her relationship.

6. animallover111

Yep i have OCD and take medication daily 60mg of citalopram to keep it under control :)

#6 animallover111, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

No i dont have OCD although i am a complete clean freak and am constantly re cleaning and moving things my mum has already done :eek:ut:
    Hope the medication works for you

8. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

I dont have OCD but take the same medication for stress and depression

9. animallover111

Has it helped you? Citalopram is widely used to help keep OCD under control as it is meant to keep you kind of even balanced i have been taking it for over 6 yrs now,i have been lucky i never suffered with depression even after having children if anything im quite hypa and always happy.OCD can be brought on by stress.Hope your feeling better on medication,do you feel it helps you?

10. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

I have been taking 40mg for 18 months now. Some days I would say it keeps me even, and other days it doesnt even touch the sides. It does however seem to make me abit fluffy headed and forgetful. Which is ok as long as I dont forget to pick the kids up from school or walk the dogs:eek:ut::blushing:
    I do however find it very hard to talk to people about the reason for taking my meds, so think you are very brave starting this thread. Well done you:D

11. animallover111

It might be worth asking your doctor to increase your dosage if you have been taking 40mg for 18months it might help you and stop you having bad days.If you want to talk you can always pm me i would be happy to listen.It wasnt me who actually started this thread but im not ashamed of having OCD although many people just think we clean or always wash our hands its far more complex than that. :)

12. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I have got a thing about the new toilet roll being put on the holder the right way, so that the paper isn't against the wall. I don't make a big deal about it and seeing as I'm the one that changes the TP its not an issue, but if DH changes it I know he purposely puts it on the "wrong" way just to nark me.

I like my dishwasher loaded a certain way as well especially the cutlery, all the forks together, all the knives together, spoons, teaspoons and then another section for everything else not in those categories. I do this so its easier and quicker when it comes to unloading. Again, its not a big deal if someone else loads it differently I just redo it my way.

When DH and I went on holiday with friends, the other woman thought I was a bit :eek:ut: about the dishwasher when she saw me reload what she had just put in (basically, she just flung everthing in and hoped for the best), but her husband thought my system made sense and now they do it in their house :D See, I'm not alone :001_tt2:

I'm glad you are getting the help you need, hope the meds work for you xx

13. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Here, here very good point :)

14. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I am on Sertraline. Its for my OCD, anxiety, etc. I do find it hard to talk about it but i like to make it known too. So other sufferers don't need to be alone and realise it is common and they are not abnormal. I felt tlike this for years :( but i don't now. I accept that i am mad ;) :D lol!!!!! Its who i am!!!!
    Well done everyone who has replied. Thanks!! xxx

animallover111 likes this.
  15. animallover111

Well i did say this morning i attract nutters and seems we are very alike :eek:ut: :eek:ut:
    OCD can effect people in many different ways and a big cause is stress to be honest i never thought i was stressed until i went to see someone i had to keep a diary of all my activities for 7 days when i looked at everything i realised i never stopped i thought i was in control and i wasnt people thought i was on drugs i did everything at 100 miles an hour,learning to slow down was the hardest bit i get bored doing nothing to me relaxing is out having fun doing crazy things.When i first started taking medication it knocked me for six i had no energy and then i hit reality (which sounds strange as i thought taking medication would do the opposite)but i have now learnt to slow down and im in control but i will be honest im not the crazy,happy go lucky michelle anymore, i used to love taking risks living life to the full now i seem to be michelle the beauty therapist mum of two!!!

16. animallover111

You have the same attitude as me at least we know its there but can laugh about it too xx

17. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I'm not on medication, although sometimes I think I should be LOL. Instead, I laugh at my querks and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening with hubby ;)

I have no stigma regarding mental health issues, my mum is bi-polar, a severe illness which not many people can appreciate how awful it is to cope with for the person or the family member who surround them :( My childhood was horrendous because of her illness and to this day I still have issues, but I don't blame her just the illness.

I'm eta, that after a read through, my last sentences sounds very harsh on my mum. I should have said, parts of my childhood were horrendous, it wasn't all bad.

#17 westie~ma, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  18. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Ooh i love a glass of the good stuff with my book in the evening too!! Once everythings been done, daughters and pets are tired and sleepy!! Aaah bliss! lol! ;) :D

Oh and yeah i know someone who has bi-polar :( and a lot of people just don't understand it. Its not a nice illness, my friend has extreme highs and lows even with her medication :( bless her. I adore her she is a great mate and a lovely person. But some people just can't understand her and don't want to be around her when it is either extreme. :( xxx

19. animallover111

I have read about bi-polar and can imagine its very hard for your mum and everyone else to live with,must of been hard for you especailly growing up :(
    I can laugh my ocd off but it has effected my son he is 13yrs old and he is already showing signs he counts his coats before he goes to bed and has to check the doors/windows are all locked we cant go out and leave a window open as he worries til we get back home...this i find very worrying Jack has seen someone about this and hopefully he will grow out of it!

20. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I am honestly ok with all my 'issues' i have a great life and i count myself very lucky. It doesn't affect my life, but my daughter, like Animal lovers son, has been affected. She is 3 and keeps cleaning up after herself etc!! I know its a good thing but at 3yrs i feel she should be doing kiddie things and not worrying! I am always teling her not to worry mummy will do it but she doesn't listen!!! lol!!

This is why i take her out a lot of the day...beach, park, walking, jungle house etc etc so she can be a typical 3yr old and i can relax too!!

I don't want my OCD gone completely i just want to calm it down, so i can relax at home with other people in there. I am fine when its just me in the evenings because in my head it can then stay clean!! :eek:ut:
    It shapes who i am as a person and i love my quirks!!!! :001_tt2:

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice