Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone else have to clean the back end of their pooch?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Micky93, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Yep, this thread really is what you think it's about :D

Eddie has very long thick fur, especially around his back end. And regularly (every few weeks) has a 'problem'. By that I mean he can go to the toilet fine, but then gets into a mad panic because a little bit has got stuck in his fur and won't budge. It's quite a pathetic sight to see him dashing about the garden or walk with his tail down periodically scratching his bottom on the floor! When this fails it is left to me to step in. And the special bottom wipes come out (yes, he has his own box!) or a nice stick and leaf!

I just wondered if anyone else has ended up becoming closely aquatinted to their dog's backside? Or is this a 'pleasure' I get to share on my own :eek:

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo is obviously shorthaired, but really panics racing about when he has what I term a 'dangleberry' - grass that has come halfway out. So yes, I'm closely acquainted with his backside from pulling out grass. Sometimes it's like that trick magicians do when they pull hankies from something and the string of hankies gets longer and longer.....:crazy::crazy:.

3. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

That has given me the chuckles! If anyone who didn't have dogs asked me right now what I was laughing about they would think I'm nuts! :p

And I love 'dangleberry' that's brilliant! We normally just say 'he's got a keeper'. :eek:

4. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

Rex, thank Dog has never had a problem. Tess on the other hand.... well if we don't clip her wool, it gets very ugly. I spend a lot of time examining the wool length on her backside :rolleyes::

5. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Archie gets dangleberries sometimes, so yes I am acquainted with his rear end.

Val xx

6. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Well Daisy has long hair so sometimes get clinkers! i try and comb these out if possible. Otherwise its a bath and plenty of coconut conditioner! I too have long hair - which falls out a lot! Result- Its not unusual to have a sort of necklace effect coming out of the behinds of one or the other of the dogs! So I know about helping pull out the dangleberries!

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Flynn has what the vet calls 'very healthy anal glands' in as much as he empties every time he poops. Great in some ways but being so 'keen' on emptying he'll sometimes do it in his sleep - yuk!!

The terminology in this house is: 'I think Flynns gone fishing' and he is taken into the little loo, baby wipes, warm water and Hibiscrubbed up. He never gets 'dangleberries' though! :D

8. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

I carry baby wipes just incase ;)

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Indie regularly goes Spanish on me, she gets a grassy@rse, get it :D

Ok, I'll get mi coat.

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

If it's been a while since she was last groomed and things are a little loose for some reason one day, we sometimes have an issue. She makes it worse by scooting if she can feel something's 'stuck', so what started as a tiny bit get smeared all around :rolleyes:

11. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Only if they've got a long bit of grass to pass, but mine are all short coated, and do nice solid poos. I have got overly familiar with the back ends of a fox terrier and a maltese we look after though.

12. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

I've had to do this a few times, but there's no fuss and he lets me do it quite the thing and doesn't move a muscle until i'm finished cleaning him up.

13. Anne Marie

Anne Marie PetForums Junior

I've done it once or twice when she's had the runs and now i have to do the front bits as well now now she's in season. not nice at all. Its bad enough having to sort myself out when its the time of month... :blink:

14. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I shave a little 'bridle path' down from Danny's butt...looks like an i. :D

15. Calinyx

Calinyx PetForums VIP

Try a rough collie with colitis.......OMG, we weren't sure whether to trim, wash or scrub:cryin: . Unfortunately we ended up having to do all three:rolleyes:::rolleyes::

Oh and as we've had 5 roughs now...it's kind of part of the territory[clinkers, dangleberries, room clearers etc] :crazy:

16. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Sailor had the runs on a walk once and there was 'residue' left on his rear.... now his rear is at the same height as my knee :rolleyes: and much to my amazement, he backed up and cleaned his backside on my knee :eek:

I am also very familiar with 'dangleberries' and it always happens when walking along paths, never in the woods or on the fields out of view :rolleyes:
    Non dog folk, must twitch behind their curtains thinking I'm perverted :lol: chasing my startled dog around in circles trying to grab his behind :lol:

17. lynnie52

lynnie52 PetForums Newbie

I have to do this occasionally with my greyhound Cleo, you know when she has got grass sticking out because her tail won't go down just stands to attention:001_smile:

18. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I dont have this with my dogs, but get it with the cat :eek:

I just cut the cats fur short around her bum, all the other cats probably laugh at her but it beats getting my arms scratched to pieces trying to bath her!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice