Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anyone else allergic to their beloved dog?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lilimic, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Lilimic

Lilimic PetForums Member

I've wanted a dog for all my life, but my folks were anti dog. I've never had allergies to dogs before, only cats. Moved out at last May 2010 and got my first puppy in November 2010. Anyway up till January i was fine, then all of a sudden i start sneezing my head off and blowing my own weight in snot (Sorry to be graphic but feel i have to, to be able to show how bad things are!) and i've also felt a bit wheezy. Im attempting to take an antihistimine daily but doesn't seem to last long.

Now with Lennie being my pride and joy and having a decent hoover with a hepa filter on it and hoovering every second day. what else can i do to eliminate symptoms and to put you in the picture me and Lennie won't be parting!. But i need to stop feeling like i've got man flu!:crying:

He also sleeps in my room as i don't trust the little tyrant on his own in my sittingroom yet and the kitchens too wee for him. I've bought him his own bed and encouraged him to use it rather than sneak up on mine in the middle of the night, but with him being a big guy he can when im asleep and i've no idea till early the next day!. If i try putting him out the bedroom he either spends the next few hours howling or barking cos he hears people outside. :nono:

My vet nurse says he's going to shed 365 days a year and i've bought a furminator which should be on it's way soon.

Anyway any suggestions would be great!.

Thanks.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is something called petal cleanse that you put on to the dogs coat that is said to neutralise the allergens, Havent used it personally, but have read in articles it is said to help. Its not wildly expensive so may be worth a try.

I also read an article about a little boy who always wanted a dog and was allergic so couldnt. They gave him immunotherapy, injections of the allergen
    starting in small doses and gradually building up so he was desensitised so wasnt affected. It did work and he eventually had a dog. I should imagine that it would only be private though and expensive.

The link for the petal cleanse (Which hopefully will work if not just google it)

The Healthy House Ltd | Relieving Allergies Since 1991

You just need to click on pet allergys on the left hand index and details of the petal cleanse comes up.

#2 Sled dog hotel, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

oh that must be awful for you, good on you for working through it
    Weekly use of the furminator will help lots I think.

My mums allergic to my (hairless) chinese crested! But nowhere near to that extent

4. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I'm allergic to my GP's!

5. Lilimic

Lilimic PetForums Member

I have thought about giving him up for about 30 seconds and it reduced me to tears. Going to go and see my GP and see what they suggest. No doubt will tell me to lose the dog but they'll get told to get stuffed!.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice