Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anybody tell me about what this dog poo means ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by reliable65, Apr 27, 2017.

1. reliable65

reliable65 PetForums Junior

IMG_0001[1].JPG

My 9 year old Westie has been very lethargic and unable to jump on sofa / bed and climb stairs . His tail is tucked under his body and refuses to go for his walks. This suddenly happened yesterday afternoon and he doesnt seem to be in pain. He ate his tea last night but refused his treats which he normally never refused

I lifted him onto lawn and he had 3 poos as photo, is this just a bug / virus ? or should i take him to vets?

thanks very much for looking IMG_0001[1].JPG

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It means you should take him to the vets immediately!

Black, tarry looking stools can be a sign of intestinal bleeding and needs promptly investigating.

3. reliable65

Ithink the poo is brown not black, but thanks just got him in at vets at lunch time

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

How is your dog?

5. danielled

danielled Guest

That's black poo. Black poo=vets now. Not in an hour or two now.

6. reliable65

He is just sleeping at the moment, had to lift him onto the sofa

7. Legshand

Legshand PetForums Member

I would get some on a bit of kitchen role and take it for the vet to see, if needs be empty a coffee jar, dry it & put the sample in there, also take print outs of the shots you put on here, good luck

8. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

If your dog is weak as well as passing tarry stools I really would get him to the vet sooner although have just noticed you said lunch time so hopefully you are on your way now.

9. reliable65

just got back and hes had an inflammotary jab and ive been told to give him promax for 3 days and noraclqv for 7 days

says summat about colitis and to go back on saturday

thanks for all advice

10. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Or before if things change for the worse!
    Please don't take offence but "summat about colitis" suggests you either did not understand what the vet was telling you or only half listened.

Its important to ask questions if you don't understand what the vet is telling you otherwise you may miss signs that the dog is reacting badly to medication or not recovering well.

Make sure you complete the course of any antibiotics the vet has prescribed too. That is also very important.

11. reliable65

said it was something like what in adults is IBS and gave him antibiotics and a booster for his stomach (priobotic?)

Gave him his meds and he has ate his dinner ( tin of his favourite tuna)

Ill just keep a close eye on him then see what happens saturday

many thanks for the replies

12. Legshand

Im really glad to hear that, is he drinking ok?

13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I would take him straight to the vets and if you have a clean small jar or container take a sample of the faeces too, they may not test it at this stage but they can see what he is doing.
    It looks like there is blood and muscous in the motions which usually means they have colitis which is inflammation of the colon, its not an uncommon thing entirely, but he looks like he has a pretty bad bout and likely needs help.
    Various things can cause it from bacteria bugs to viruses, if he is also lethargic and not wanting to walk jump up or exercise its likely he has pain and discomfort too, lack of appetite with it is another concern too, so I would get an appointment as soon as you can.

Edit to add now I have read the whole thread see you have taken him, hope he is starting to improve very soon.

14. Legshand

He's only just come back from a vets, although, by the look of those shots a second opinion would not be a mistake.

15. Sled dog hotel

I saw after as I had posted in reply to OPs first post and didn't read the whole thread. Looks like the vet thinks its colitis, same as I thought though.

16. reliable65

Thanks all , i took him as soon as i could get in

I cannot understand why this has happened, Alfie has eaten the same food as normal , etc

Only thing is that he was wormed at the vets on Tuesday - could it be due to this although he has been wormed / flead at vets for a few years, or is it just one of them things that happens- virus, picks bug up etc

He seems to have perked up enough to eat a treat and have another poo

Thank you to all who replied

17. Sled dog hotel

Different things can tend to spark off colitis, the colon gets inflamed and you get the muscos jelly like substance and varying amount of blood, sometimes its a few specks other times it can be quite heavy. Bad bouts do usually need some medical help to clear it up. It could be a bug viral or bacteria he has just picked up it can come with that, although one of mine used to get bouts when she was older
    due to medication she had to take for a problem with her spine.

In addition to the meds the vet has given it often helps to give them something light and easily digestible to eat too. I normally give my white boiled fish check for small bones and no skin, or a bit of chicken again really plain and remove the skin as that full of fat, either of those two and a bit of fresh boiled plain rice or you can a add a bit of plain mashed potato to the chicken or fish.
    that acts as a resting diet and easier on the tum while they are recovering. Unless the vets given you a prescription diet to feed for a few days some vets do that.

Hope he will be feeling much better soon and you see an improvement. Noraclav is antibiotics so he must have suspected possible bacterial cause, Promax tends to help settle and soothe the digestive tract, I normally use something called protexin prokolin but I believe they do the same sort of thing.

18. reliable65

Wow thanks very much , must be summat he has picked up as he has been on a raw food diet for the last 5 years with no problems

lorilu likes this.
  19. Sled dog hotel

It may take awhile to get back to completely normal, but you should start to see an improvement as you go, usually within about 24 hours or so, then after that it usually gets better and better until it gets back to completely normal, so just keep and eye on his toilet to make sure it is improving as he goes along, obviously if he seems better in himself which he should do that's a good sign too.

20. reliable65

Alfie got up this morning , seems better . He had a tin of tuna for dinner and chicken and rice for tea . Just went for a shower and came down to him eating a pizzle ! This seems to have knocked him back a bit so hes getting no more ! Just been for a walk - shorter than normal and was better than yesterday. He had 2 poos and im presuming these are better and getting back to normal ?

Many thanks to all

Ps im debating wether to take him off raw food and just stick to cooked bland foods like chicken / fish / pasta / rice

What are your thoughts? IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice