Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anybody know about search engines?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by newfiesmum, Mar 25, 2011.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I just wondered how some listings get to the top of the first page. Is it how many times the website is viewed or how many times you update it or what? There is no option to pay for it to get up the top, so I wondered if anybody knew for sure or if it is random.

2. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Take a look at this hun,
    Ten Tips to the Top of Google - Search Engine Watch (SEW)

It seems to be a mixture of things from what i read and google keeps changing them perameters

quote from another site

It is no easy task to work out how to get a website to the top of the results thrown up by a search engine. Google — which with 85% of the search-engine market in Britain is by far the dominant player — keeps tweaking how its algorithms read web pages and indexes them.

“There are 200 signals that determine a page’s relevance,” said Matthew Trewhella, Google’s developer advocate. “Imagine it as a big wall of dials with a bunch of people turning them slightly every day.”

While Google offers plenty of guidance and advice, it won’t tell companies exactly how its system works.

#2 XxZoexX, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

I believe its how many hits it gets via the search engine. A friend of mine runs a website and forum and in its early days he asked all members who he knew personally to go in via google to send it up the pages rather than just go into the site directly.

4. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Its to do with metatags! I did this for my BTEC but I can't remember!

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

You can pay to get into the top listings, but to do it yourself takes a lot of hard work, I'm nowhere near the top for what I do and rely more on word of mouth. But what I do is label all my photographs, change articles as regularly as I get time to, link to my website from other websites and forums, use blogs etc, but it all takes time. It used to be that you could use hidden text that would get you to the top, but that all stopped a few years back now.

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I know when the internet first got popular you could pay to get in the top, but I can't find any option to do that now. This morning my listing was right at the top of the page and I just wondered how it got there! I am not complaining, but I can't do it again if I don't know how it got there!

I did put a pay per click ad on Facebook yesterday, so perhaps that is what happened, but with my budget set low, I can't believe it had that many clicks.

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Google Adwords is a good option, you pay something like £100 for four weeks, and it's a stop start campaign, so you can, should you get enough business to keep you going, stop the ad, and restart it at a later date. It's something I'm thinking of doing in the future, once I've got all my current workload sorted, to build up a more constant and reliable stream of work.

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I signed up for Google adwords last week, but it is not showing any clicks, though I have seen it myself. I have had lots of clicks on the facebook one though and I only put it up yesterday. You only pay if someone clicks on the ad and you can set it at whatever limit you like. I also got Google adsense, where people advertise on your site and if anyone clicks from your site, you get paid!

9. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

It's down to "search engine optimisers" who are paid by the companies for their work. Not sure how it works, but I have a mate who does it. Makes them good money too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice