Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anybody got one of these?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Malmum, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

If you have what do you think of it?

[​IMG]

It's a Mikki grooming rake and I have a feeling it strips the fur but am not entirely sure. :confused: I've been grooming the Mals and I'm wondering if it is stripping Kali as when I use it on her long belly fur and around her neck loads comes literally cascading out but if I switch to a different brush it doesn't so I'm confused. I also think her belly hair is shorter. It isn't plastic like it looks but black metal and I don't use a furminator due to it's stripping so am concerned about this.

I suppose it won't hurt as summer will be coming up and her fur is longer than the boys so maybe it will be a good thing but I won't use it on the boys as their fur is short anyway and I don't want it any shorter!

Anyone found similar?

#1 Malmum, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I use a Mikki rake on Harvey - I think they just remove the dead undercoat rather than strip it all out :)

3. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I have a different make but mine looks like that, I use it on Rosie and it brings out all the dead undercoat I think, rather than stripping it out. It's not as ferocious as something like a Furminator.

I think there are a few groomers on here who might have more info. But I was sold it by a groomer who said that's what she uses to bring out undercoat and the reason she uses that is because it doesn't get all clogged up like a brush does so is quicker and easier. I've never felt it stripped out any hair, just removed dead hair.

Naomi x

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I use the mikki undercoat rake you have pictured their on willow and it is fantastic,
    i would never use a furminator as that slices the top coat and ruins it
    but that rake just takes out all the undercoat that is being shed

hmm dont actually know where mine as gone at the moment, must find it as willow is starting to blow her coat

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I used to have one when we had the GSD's it was brilliant for getting their undercoat out when they started moulting.

6. Petitepuppet

Petitepuppet PetForums VIP

Have never used one on my dogs but I have used it on a collie(that looked like a burst cushion) at the rescue centre and as far as I could tell, it just removed the dead undercoat :).

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Great :thumbup: Thanks for the replies guys, now I can use it with peace of mind. I know the Mals shed for England but was just a bit worried - not any more though. ;) It certainly is a good tool though judging by the way the fur comes out!

8. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I had one of them for Grufty (GSD Collie x) and it was brilliant for getting out the undercoat when he was moulting. I had never seen so much hair come off him by grooming as when I used it and I didn't have to hoover three times a day any more. :thumbup:

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I don't but I am now going to buy one!
    I had considered a furminator but now I realise they do that I won't!
    Dixie has shed loads of dead undercoat come out when I just brush her with my hand! It's terrible :lol: (ok, ok, maybe nowhere near like a Mal's but its still lots!)

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes I've got a similar one. It takes out the undercoat as far as I am aware.

11. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Yes, I changed from a furmintaor to this and love it. It dosen't shred and cut her fur anywhere lie what the furminator was doing.

12. abbieandchi

abbieandchi PetForums Senior

I don't have that exact brush but I have one from the same make and I absolutely love it. As others have said, it gets rid of all of the shed undercoat. Phoebe seems to be shedding like a beach at the moment so it's a lifesaver.

13. Verity

Verity PetForums Member

I used to use one with Archie, my previous BC, who had a 'double-coat'. It was brilliant. I used to stand out in the garden and rake away. All the dead undercoat used to come away, I could fill plastic bags with it all:)

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Day three of grooming and that rake is the bee's knee's :w00t: Flynn has almost finished blowing and Marty has yet to properly start but Kali is blowing like crazy and I got heaps out of her today with this rake! :thumbup1:

Her coat moves now where as before with all the undercoat it was just like cotton wool, all built up. I took her out in the afternoon sun and as she trotted along, coat blowing a little in the wind she looked a gorgeous shade of orange and absolutely beautiful! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice