Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any women here that read fantasy books

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nicky10, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

And before anyone says something I mean lord of the rings that kind of thing.

Because according to an American journalist no women read fantasy stories and would never prefer them to Mills and Boon or a chick lit author :rolleyes:. So I wanted to see what some basic research would have shown her anyone here read them?

I love fantasy books I should point out I know a lot of women that do just wanted to see how wrong she got her facts

2. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

my mums reading the game of thrones set at the moment, and i'll read anything :D

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'm rereading that so I can make sense of the tv show.

4. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

haha i sat and watched it last night and enjoyed it :D

5. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Journalists, ha! I've got most of Tolkien's output: read and re-read, and loved Terry Pratchett as a teenager.
    There again, a while back there was a list of men's favourite books published...I'd read more of those than any man I know. Journos like "trends" don't they, it doesn't matter about what real people do if they have an opinion piece to write.;)

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It was good and they got the characters right for once. Well I haven't seen much of my favourite character yet and if they get him wrong he's going to end up coming across as a sociopath which he isn't er sometimes anway

7. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

can proudly say have never read a mills and boon in my life. LOTR is one of my fav books. also love a clockwork orange and catch 22. about as far from chick-lit as is possible to get!

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I love LOTR and all the other gazillons of books he and his son wrote about the world. Never really read Terry Pratchett though

9. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

On book three of the A Song of Ice and Fire saga (Game of Thrones series), and just watched the first episode last night - both are utterly brilliant!

I grew up on my Dad's books - all science fiction. My preferred genre of books are horrors and thrillers - a far cry from any Mills and Boon book. Romance? Yuck! :D

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I like book 3 mostly because that's when you start getting into others characters heads like Jaime and his is pretty fascinating.

I may have a guilty pleasure addiction to Mills and Boon but give me LOTR or game of thrones or wheel of time anyday

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I read a load of fantasy and science fantasy/fiction books, but they're all in boxes because I'm moving!!

12. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Indeed! I think they've gotten Jaime spot on in the TV series - they've done a really good job all round so far as far as I can see :D

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Well if nothing else they got the look right for Jaime as in absolutely gorgeous but the guy plays him so perfectly. The character I think they got perfect though was Viserys. I hope they get Sandor right

14. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

All my favourite authors are fantasy :eek:

Raymond E. Feist
    David Eddings
    George R. R. Martin
    James Clemens
    Terry Goodkind

so on, so forth!

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

David Eddings is awesome if for no other character than Silk

16. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

I do, I am reading The Tomb by F Paul Wilson at the minute. I have quite a wide taste in books though.

17. Heather78

Heather78 PetForums Senior

I love fantasy type books, I'm more into werewolves, vampires and the like though :)

18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I like the true blood books and dracula

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ugh, i hate romance in any way, shape or form. Chick flicks make me gag.

Im a horror fan, old style King, Bentley Little etc. Also a Cormac McCarthy fan, and i ADORE anything to do with post apocalyptic scenarios; think The Stand, The Road, Under the Dome in a sense. Im currently waiting for Swan Song by Robert McCammon.

Reading Blue Eyed Boy at the moment, was on offer with a newspaper and im rather impressed so far. Its slightly weird, which i find appealing.

Fave author is Mo Hayder. I have The Hanging all ready to read as soon as ive finished my current book.

Fantasy is ok. LOTR is epic, and ive yet to find another novel that can hold its own against it.

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I've not read many horror books just seen a few Steven King movies and those were scary. Might have a look at a couple of those authors if I ever get through rereading wheel of time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice