Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any tips???

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by Pindonkey, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Pindonkey

Pindonkey PetForums Member

I've been riding for about 3 months now and i am really enjoying it but i was looking for some tips.

How can i keep the ball of my foot on the stirrup??? It often slips so that its down in the middle of my foot. I try to keep my heels down but it still slips.

I also have trouble with the canter, particularly getting to horse to do it because i find it hard to kick while trotting. Anything i could try?

I know it takes practice and a lot of it.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I think that's your answer :) 3 months isn't long. When you go into canter from trot sit down for a couple of strides before asking your horse to canter. Keeping your heels down is the answer to keeping the stirrup in the right place - again it's all down to practice in having your balance right. Keep up the riding and it will all come together :)

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I take it you are having lessons. You should not really be riding without an experienced person watching you after only 3 months riding.

The girls that ride my ponies decided they liked the 'cheese grater' stirrups as they were having trouble keeping their feet correctly in the stirrups. It has certainly helped them though one of them has progressed far beyond needing their help.

When asking for canter try and avoid tipping forward. Sit as still in the saddle as you can, think 'sit back'. You wont actually sit back but it will help you to sit straight instead of going too far forward. While sitting as still and upright as you can put your outside leg behind the girth, your inside leg on the girth and ask for canter by using your legs as hard as is needed for your particular horse. If you really have to kick still make sure you are sitting upright.

Doing some riding without stirrups will make you sit deeper in the saddle and make you a lot better balanced and more secure which will help you use your legs more efficiently.

good luck and make sure you are being taught by someone with plenty of experience and a lot of patience.

4. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

Try your stirrups slightly shorter , sometimes it takes time to ride nice and long.

Most new riders have the tendency to grip with there knees rather than there calfs and push there toes down as they feel out of balance.

When you mount if your on a nice safe and sturdy horse ask you instructor if you can have a play around with your feet, feeling how your foot feels in the stirrup, try and get your legs in the correct position and have you heels down and toes in. Check the rest of your posture too, most commonly a new rider will be tipping sligtly forward, if you have a mirror in you school take a look at your posture are you sitting nice and tall and strait.

Ridding takes time, and the problem your experiencing is common for people who have been riding for a few months let alone a few weeks.

Also working on you core muscles does wonders for your riding, unfortunatly the leg muscle is slightly more difficult but it will come in time.

Good luck and keep us posted on your riding.

5. lajc91

lajc91 PetForums Newbie

Hello :)

I am assuming you are taking lessons but check your stirrups are at the right length for you without being in the wrong position! I am of average height but have very very small legs apparently so my stirrups are quite high to be in the correct position! not sure if that makes sens :confused: lol

With your canter, make sure you have your sitting trot correct first so you are able to sit before asking for canter. Try doing it with markers, when i take lessons i ask my students to sit just after the C marker for 2/3 strides before asking for canter right in the corner. Make sure you keep your heels down and weight back so you are not leaning forward into the canter which should give you a smoother transition and a better seat! Also, try not to "kick" the pony, if its well schooled it should go off pressure as long as you are aiding correctly!

Three months is a relatively short period of time so it sounds like you are doing well, in lessons i always go with SIT......SQUEEZE ....and CANTER! try keeping that in your head, seems to work for my girls lol Good luck and remember practice makes perfect!

keep us updated :)

6. Pindonkey

Hey, sorry totally forgot about this thread. Yes i go to lessons.:) (and i love them)

Thanks for the tips. I've kind of got the canter now, i can get the horse to go into it fine now, just working on sitting the canter now. And it can depend on the horse i ride too. Clyde who is a very experienced horse is great to ride, but is probably the bumpiest horse there, Avi who is a nice horse too has a nice smooth canter but he has an obsession with cutting corners and jumping. And then you have marble who is about 2 hands smaller than clyde and avi but he is so nice! He is so smooth and easy to ride, just not as experienced.

And its easier to keep my foot on the stirrup properly now, just the occasional slip every now and then, more so with the outside leg rather than the inside one.

Thanks for the tips guys, will keep you updated:)

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

If your outside leg foot is slipping then it suggests you are not sitting centrally.

8. Pindonkey

Went to my lesson tonight and managed to keep my foot in the right place on the stirrup nearly all night, had a slight slip in the canter once or twice but that was it.

I did however fall straight poor marbles head jumping :crazy: I turned too late and he was way to close to jump wing, hit it but he still jumped which i wasn't expecting and over went :lol:

Then we had to do the 3 jumps 3 more times and poor marble just got so tired!

They say 20 falls and you become a good rider, only 17 to go :tongue_smilie:

9. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

my first fall was straight over the head too :eek: bit of a soft landing though, horse was being a bugger for eating and he put his head down so unexpectedly I didn't have time to prepare myself for staying on.
    I always had to have shorter than average stirrups too. Remember if you're on the horse that cuts corners (I've been on plenty of those) keep your inside leg on the girth and if you keep your outside leg back and still you should keep your canter a lot easier. Well done for getting onto jumping so quick though.

10. Pindonkey

Thats my 3 fall now. The other two where near abouts over the head.

Been jumping since my 2nd lesson. Not recommended by some and i could see why but i love it! Makes lessons all the more fun, we had a little fun show there before xmas for just the people who ride there and there was a dressage test and a little jumping course. Was a good day, especially the pizza part!

Thanks for the canter tip. Marble cut his corners a lot today, and he wasnt so great at keeping his canter, or moreso i wasnt so i will keep it in mind the next time. :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice