Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

any tips on cat behaviour ?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by WorriedTabby, Jul 13, 2019.

1. WorriedTabby

WorriedTabby PetForums Junior

So my indoor cat came back after 2 weeks, I feel stressed she’s super paranoid and meowing constantly for my attention as soon as I’m watching her she will be content. I fed her and etc , she has 2 cats she was living with prior to her absence. 1 is her sister she was raised with and another is a kitten that she’s known for about 1 year , she came back and is acting somewhat hostile towards them. I’m going to take her for a vet check up tomorrow but I dont know what to do with all the meowing. It’s 5 am and I’m up trying to please her but I need to sleep. I put her in the garage with the other cats and shut the door and turned the lights off. I don’t know when she will acting normal. Any tips on how to adjust the cat after it’s been on survival mode for a while ?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Came back from where? Please, take her out of the garage immediately. If she is acting hostile toward the other two, shutting her up with them like that is just making her more stressed, making them all stressed. Why can't she be in the house with you, which is where she obviously wants to be, with you?

(I will refrain from commenting on why you shut your cats up in a garage in the dark, appalling as it sounds, for now)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I have to agree with @lorilu , why do you feel it is helping any of your cats to be shut in a garage :(.
    Your cat that has been "away" for 2 weeks is obviously stressed / scared and in need of reassurance not shut in a garage with another 2 cats that she is obviously not comfortable being around at the moment.

4. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

She needs to be in the bedroom with you with the other cats shut out of the bedroom but in the house. How come you keep them in the garage? And why was she away? Do you mean she escaped and disappeared for two weeks?

5. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

6. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

If your cat was an indoor cat, and then went missing for two weeks, she will be very anxious. She wasn't used to the outside world, and it will have been overwhelming for her if she was a nervous cat.
    You say she is very fond of you, and her behaviour sounds like she was needing reassurance from you. She was telling you she needed you, and you locked her away. This, coupled with locking her in a dark garage with two other cats that she is uncomfortable with at the minute, is only going to make matters worse. It sounds like she just wanted to be with you in bed, and may have settled down if you'd have allowed her. My cat is a confident cat, but she does like to know where I am and likes to spend time with me, and although she doesn't like to spend much of the night in the bedroom, she does like the bedroom door open so she can come in and see us when she likes.

I don't understand why you keep your cats in the garage, either. Seems a bit mean.

7. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

She smells different, her mates are unsure, she is unsure and stressed, they are stressed...

My parents’ cat has her room in the basement. With a window to the garden.
    She goes there for the night... her safe place.
    She waits by the door when is time.
    Or if there are guests and she doesn’t like strangers at all.
    It was also the place to leave her when everyone was away, safer as she could not get out - very big house, open windows... so I understand somewhat the safe place for the cats ... hope there is a window etc?

But in those circumstances not a good idea until she settles.

Read about all the calming plugs and sprays here and give her lots of attention.
    Soon she will get back her home smell and then slowly and at home introduce back the others one by one.

Smell swapping? Bring some of their blankets and stuff so she can smell them.

I don’t know your living arrangements and who you live with so I don’t think we can judge the garage for the night solution.
    I hope though you don’t keep the car there?
    Exhaust fumes, petrol etc.?
    If it is just used as a cattery and is safe?

WorriedTabby and Jackie C like this.
  8. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Firstly I'm so glad your cat came back.

Secondly I agree with everyone else who has said - you need to give your cat lots of love, affection and reassurance. I don't think it will help at all to shut her in the garage (and again, why keep the others in the garage rather than the house?). Unless perhaps the garage is insulated and set up as another room rather than, as I suspect we are picturing it, a cold external building with no light or heat sources and potentially used as storage?

Even if the other cats are comfortable there, it sounds like this cat needs you at the moment. She probably smells strange to the other cats because of her adventures so it would be sensible to reintroduce them slowly and keep her in with you in the meantime.

WorriedTabby, moomoowawa and Jackie C like this.
  9. WorriedTabby

10. WorriedTabby

Well as appalling as it sounds i didn’t know what I was doing if you use your head that’s why I asked on what I should do . She stayed in my room with me hours before I let her explore the house , I know how to take care of my cat I’m not a ******* moron. Everything’s is fine now cats have recognized each other and she is now fond of the new home.

11. WorriedTabby

Yes

cheekyscrip likes this.
  12. WorriedTabby

Yes she lives upstairs but because there was so much unknown stimulus I put her in the garage so she could cool down . I kept her in my room but she kept meowing to get let out so I was up all night monitoring her before I even went to sleep. She is fine now , the cats have recognized each other and she has explored and gotten familiar with the new home . Thankfully !

cheekyscrip likes this.
  13. WorriedTabby

14. WorriedTabby

Wow I did not know that everyone would assume I shut my ******* cats in the garage for the whole day . I know how to take care of my animals and love / spoil them very much . This was the first time I had to deal with this before and that’s why I asked what I should do . I did not
    Immediately shut her in the garage with the other cats , she stayed in my room for a couple hours and wanted to get out and explore the house , which I was monitoring her the whole time til 5 am mind you . I decided to put her in the garage for only that one night and it was not a bad idea . She is fond of the house now and feels comfortable being upstairs , I never lock my cats in a room away. Everything is fine now and the cats have recognized each other .

cheekyscrip likes this.
  15. WorriedTabby

16. WorriedTabby

All because I was too tired to write out a whole paragraph I’m not an idiot , I didn’t shut her in the garage right away , I stayed with her almost 7 hours awake til 5 am letting her get comfortable before I decided to put her in the garage for the night . There was too much unknown stimulus for her and we also had family over so the sleeping arrangements were not set up because we just moved to the house. EVERYTHING is fine now she and the other cats have recognized each other and she is fond of the new home.
    Just shocked everyone thought I was that careless to throw her in the garage without giving her any comfort.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  17. WorriedTabby

18. WorriedTabby

First of all i never keep my cats in the garage my cats are all very spoiled and loved and stay upstairs all the time . All room doors are kept open in my house and even the garage door is kept open the whole night because their litter box is placed there . Before everyone starts assuming shit maybe they should ask more questions because honestly when I’m asking for advice I don’t need ******* useless 2 cents like I’m a ******* animal abuser.

19. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Members here mean the best no need to get shirty.
    You never really explained how the garage is used so it created certain impression.

If I put it that Ramza is locked for the night in a basement no one will think it is a warm room with a window, old comfy armchairs, bookshelves and cat toys...

She loves her room!

20. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Re-read your first post and you should realise why everyone was confused and concerned. People on here were only concerned about the cats welfare

sandy-cat and cheekyscrip like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice