Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any tips, hacks gadgets for keeping on top of muddy paw prints?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bette, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

I seem to be perpetually mopping in this wet weather. Although I like a clean house I detest housework :Dand begrudge any time I spend on it- so I just wondered if anyone has any time saving ideas or gadgets that they use? Anything to save time in between a full mop would be great.Or do I just give up and accept that having a dog and clean floors don't mix?:(

2. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

We have stone floors so I put old towels down in doorway so they have to walk on them drying their feet as they come in.

Bette likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I once saw a dog that had been trained to wipe his own feet on a doormat!

Bette likes this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I solved the problem by getting mud coloured tiles

From another who hates housework

D72721F0-7F4F-4DD2-B353-781EA7DB2095.jpeg

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

My friend's mother in law is very house proud and her dog does the same, then she stands and lifts each paw to be wiped with a towel too.

When I first got a dog I used to be a bit like that, every wet muddy walk I would be wiping down his feet...till I realised that my kids and especially my husband bought probably more dirt in the house than anyone...so I decided what's the point. Just extra mopping and cleaning oh well!

Kakite, Bette, Boxer123 and 1 other person like this.
  6. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Grrrr, for the use of 'Hack' but I have found buying a few of these and stitching them together work very well and are very similar to this at a far more reasonable price, but they are very absorbent and take a good amount of wet and mud off the feet.

Amanda Mower and Bette like this.
  7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

You can get mats which absorb water/dirt as you walk over them - I got one in my local Dunelm for inside the kitchen door but can't remember what they're called ! They come in a good range of colours/patterns and sizes and do the job !

Picklelily and Bette like this.
  8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Those 'noodle' style mats seem to be good for muddy wet paws.

Bette likes this.
  9. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I use the same as BertiesMum I find they work great I also got mine from Dunelm they never show the dirt and they are also machine washable:)

Bette likes this.
  10. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

Oooh goodie, I’ll have a look, I have a Dunelm not far away.:)

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  11. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

I have one of those too the largest size very good buy to same some housework worth every penny!

Bette likes this.
  12. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

This thread is all about me looking for a lazy way to solve a problem, so lazy use of the word “ hack”-“a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well.” seemed perfect for my purpose.:D :D

Linda Weasel and tabelmabel like this.
  13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Patterned carpets hide a multitude of sins! I do love my patterned carpets and not just now i am older - i have always loved a patterned wool carpet.

So i just vacuum mine and it looks clean. It isnt but it looks it.

In the kitchen i have a cheap steam mop. It is a vileda one, really basic but i feel with the steam it is actually properly cleaning and killing germs. It heats its own water and the pads machine wash.

I think it works on laminate but it cracked the tiles in my downstairs loo.

Bette and Boxer123 like this.
  14. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

It gets very muddy in my kitchen -light floor tiles stupid me. I have two dirt absorbing mats one outside and one inside plus a coir mat in front of that -it helps.

Bette likes this.
  15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I have got a turtle mat and a hug rug that are good for wiping my own muddy and wet feet - the dogs are straight over them though. The turtle mat is really good, but it wasnt cheap.

Bette likes this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have ruined all my laminate flooring by using a steam mop so would not recommend it.

My dogs have their feet dunked in a washing up bowl and then dried if they are at all muddy. I am not houseproud but we take our shoes off at the door and put slippers on and the dogs have to conform too!

17. lullabydream

See me and my kids have always taken shoes off and swapped them...OH never has, and his work shoes are the filthiest things ever... So I blame his disgusting feet rather than anyone elses!

He has in the past year decided slippers aren't just for older people like he used to say but still only wears them after a bath so damage is done. He might change soon though as we are hopefully doing the house up a bit...but I doubt it!

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think on a farm you just automatically take boots off and now we always take shoes off too. My husband even takes his slippers off to go upstairs.

Bette and lullabydream like this.
  19. lullabydream

Husband never got that meme from his Dad who works on a farm, or gets involved in country life, so is always changing out of outdoor attire, wellies or shoes for slippers...and I think this is where OH sees it this is what older people do...but honestly I think he could live with years worth of dust, grim, dog hair etc it wouldn't bother him because he wouldn't notice it!

Blitz and Bette like this.
  20. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Thanks!

I am very much in the minority in not having laminate so i dont know a great deal about it. When we moved here, i was think i had just turned 30 - this house had just been floored in laminate throughout the downstairs. Was supposed to be a selling point. Within 6 months, i had put patterned carpet down. Instantly, it felt like home! Seems funny to think i had such old lady taste in flooring back then, but i am still really pleased with my choice over 20 years later!

So much easier to 'clean' i know they are supposed to hold their own weight in muck or something but so what. When i had the laminate, i was heavily pregnant with my third child. I used to sweep it, then mop it and then one of my kids would eat a biscuit or something and back to square one! I do wonder how it has stayed popular for so long as i was hoping patterned carpets might be back in vogue by now. Everyone hates my carpet. Except me.

I think it is a type of laminate in my kitchen. It looks like tiles but we couldnt afford real tiles. Steam mop works well on my kitchen floor but i can easily see how it could ruin some laminate as it cracked my bathroom tiles in seconds.

Carpets are definitely under rated though. A patterned wool carpet. Love them.

Amanda Mower, Blitz and Bette like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice