Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

any suggestions to keep indoor cats actively playing?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by codyann, Apr 13, 2011.

1. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

hey
    i have 2 indoor cats one male who is a year old and also a female who is 3 years old i am allways looking for ways to interest them to play. (with out me ending up with scraches and bites) lol
    has anyone got any ideas? as i have tried various things

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Plastic ball that will bounce and roll away from them.
    Laser pointer
    Feather on a stick
    Ive got a wooden ball/track which they love also
    Rustle bags and tunnels
    Anything with a bell inside drive my kitties wild
    Some sort of climby cat tree?
    Cardboard boxes lol
    My Sainsburys 'shoppers for life'

3. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

i forgot about a laser :rolleyes: that allways works and makes any dog/cat go bonkers :D i tried the feather on teh stick and tazz just ate it when i werent looking so that was a wash out.
    i have heard about the ball tracks but i cant seem to pick one up how much are they roughly?
    i think ill have to have a good route around a pet store :D

4. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

5. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

ill defo have to get one my mum was on about a tunnel with a mouse that sqeeks :D so ill give that ago also, any hopefully taht will get them both out of the window and playing lol

6. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Mine pushed their tunnel up close to the track thing, push the ball, run into the tunnel and then pounce on it when it comes past again :lol:

Even my dog plays with it :lol: It comes with a little bag of catnip you put under the scratch pad. It's stopped them plucking the carpets too :thumbup:

Well....mostly :lol:

Em
    xx

7. gloworm*mushroom

Great deals on cat intelligence games at zooplus: Karlie Kitty Brain Train Roundabout Cat Toy

This is the noe I have, I got it free with a big bad of food not long ago. They got way more use out of the toy than the food!

A lot of people rate the Senses play circuit with ball. My cats just took the darn thing apart and got the ball out lol so I prefer this style where the ball cant get out There are a few variations on zooplus that they like.

I put the feather away after playtime or mine would be destroyed. In PAH there are some lovely willows toys than are sisal with feathers either side. Mine is not split in half but they still like to play with it. Ive become resigned to the fact that everythings going to get destroyed toy wise eventually! lol

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Mine have got that two ball one too :lol:

They also managed to pull the senses thing apart - did yours fit together properly? I thought it was a bit flimsy

Em
    xx

9. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

My kitten loves to play 'hunt the kibble'. She's starting to be lazy, though. She's been asking my husband only to throw the kibble as he does it in 'beginner's mode'. :rolleyes:
    I like to throw them high so she needs to jump, or make it bounce under the table so she has to go around the chair legs.

Lately we've been playing to 'hunt' each other around the sofa. It's a good exercise for both of us, but a bit harsh on my knees :). I laugh so hard when she finds me and paws me on my forehead as to say 'gotcha!'. My husband watches it all and behaves like a child too, screaming 'behind you, behind you!'. I hope the neighbours haven't seen us behaving like... :eek:ut:

The vet suggested to hide little bowls of kibble around so she needs to find them, but my kitten is too lazy for that.

10. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

aww i aint seen one like that all the ones i have seen have been made out of plastic and with a father or ball on the top thanks i was looking at PAH website and they have a few thing im gunna try :D
    and hopefully that will entertain them for a while

11. gloworm*mushroom

I wasnt that impressed, they just were able to pull off the clear plastic tops! Plus the ball didnt roll very well over the joints so I replaced it. It must be okay as I know the breeder of my kits had one with about a billion cats playing with no issues, maybe he'd glued the pieces in?

I def prefer the wooden one, looks like theres a new style on Zooplus too, may have to invest!

12. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

lol haha that would be pretty funny to see! what is hunt teh kibble? ive never heard of that before lol x

13. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

ha very brainy cats you have :thumbup1: i think my dog would like it to lol

14. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

:lol: Molly and her dad play hide and seek! I sit there and ask her 'where's daddy gone' and she crawls round on her belly until she finds him then pounces!

15. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

So, 'hunt the kibble' is when I throw the kibbles, one by one, and Ari goes hunting them. Depending on where it goes she does all the stalking and the cutie bum wiggling before attacking the 'prey' and devouring it. Sometimes I throw it without enthusiasm and she looks at it and look back at me saying 'Tati, that one is dead, I don't want it'. :D

16. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Kiki loves hide and seek and chase too. :D

I went to the local craft shop and bought a load of straws, feathers, foam balls, ribbon and we just leave them dotted around, hidden under the rug, under the sofa - she's delighted when she suddenly finds something!

I do a monthly stock up shop from here too:
    Purrs In Our Hearts Shop - Best Cat Toys
    da bird is always really popular, we've got every attachment and rotate every few days so she never gets bored. She loves the cubes and cardboard boxes too. It definitely makes a difference rotating toys. She's recently re-discovered a bit of sheepskin that came off some slippers at Christmas - it's flavour of the week this week and she's carrying it round everywhere with her! But I guarantee next week she'll be bored with it.

She goes feral for the da bird fur toys, but they are real fur (by product of catering industry or so it says...) so may not be for everyone.

You don't have to spend much money for toys either, our old boy loved a stick wiggled under a newspaper and bits of string! It's all about being inventive with what you can find!

17. ehasler

ehasler PetForums Member

I've got something similar, and one of our two cats (River) loves it! I sell them on my website (link below) and that's River in the video doing a bit of product testing! She loves the scratch pad - it's corrugated cardboard, and especially attractive when you sprinkle a bit of catnip on it.

Apologies for the blatant advert, but here's a link to it :)

Bergan Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy from My Pet Superstore

I also sell a few other fun cat toys, and will be getting some more of the Catit Design range in soon :)

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I stupidly hung little mirror windchimes up in the cat run so when the sun hits them they cast lights over the living room wall...............

......which now has shredded wallpaper.:(
    Doh!!:rolleyes:

19. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Aye maybe actually. I noticed TB has one in one of her videos and I tend to trust her judgment so maybe mine was just a reject one :lol: I'll have to get it out and have another look at it.

:lol: Yep my dog loves it, he runs through the tunnel and bats the ball about :rolleyes::

My house bunny also loves the cat activity board thing where you can hide food in it :lol:

Em
    xx

20. Suzynick

Suzynick PetForums Junior

I definitely recommend cardboard boxes, I have two male cats and had a very long ongoing problem with one of them spraying. I seem to have broken this with the use of feliway products, an extra bed and two cardboard boxes. I have cut holes in them and chucked in some toys, and have put blankets on the top of them. They jump in and out of them and on top and don't appear to have got bored of them yet. I have also got a dead cheap tunnel from asda as one of my cats is currently house bound. He loves it though he does quite often use it as a hide out for pouncing on his poor brother :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice