Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

any suggestions please!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxbailliexx, Jun 23, 2010.

1. xxbailliexx

xxbailliexx PetForums Member

hi everyone
    i'm looking for suggestions on how to drain baillies energy.

i thought she would be able to start going back out for walks this sunday (after her season) but thought i'd double check dates and it will only be 3 weeks this saturday since the bleeding started. the bleeding has stopped now and she's not as swelled up its nearly back to normal.

but....she is driving me up the wall :001_cool:
    i spend most of the day running around the garden with her and ATTEMPTING to train her in the basic things i.e not jumping, or knocking the legs away from under me trying to get out the door and things like sit (she has this) lie down and stay (which she has'nt a clue about so i'm out the back lying down with her lol i swear my neighbours think i'm nuts :scared:)

in the house she constantly jumps on the couch so we are trying to teach her down to which she just barks if we dont allow her up.

i'm lost i cant take her out for another week on saturday (which would be 4 weeks since her season started) and i seriously need advice on how to tire baillie out!!

i knew she was going to be trouble :thumbup: but she'll be worth it.

thanks for reading and sorry its so long!!

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Instead of saying "down" for getting off of furniture, say "off!". As "down" means lie down. Make sure each command means one thing.

Our Holly is ok now. She's in her third week of season, and we've been driving her to non-local parks and walking her there. We've been playing hide and seek, fetch, lots of things. She's still a little crazy about being stuck indoors.

Why don't you get one of those mental games for her?

3. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

What about some hide and seek games?

Hide some treats and make her work for them.

Or a toilet roll with the ends folded up, put some treats in there to make her work to get them out.

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

snap was going to say the same thing and in the garden you can spread the food about so she uses the energy to find the food. Hide a few bits and guide her to find it to start with as she finds it say [FIND IT] she should get the idear very quicly as they want the food. You can also put upside down pots and walk her down the line to see if she can sniff the food out. Good training exercise also.

5. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

What about burying some toys or chews and get her to find them, a kiddies sand pit filled with goodies may help, pity you didnt have an excerise walking machine you could of put her on a slow walk on that ;)

6. rona

rona Guest

Can you not drive into the countryside?
    If you get near a stream or river and get her to go into the water, it will also help to clear the scent

7. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Thats a great idea, I never think of that! :thumbup:

8. xxbailliexx

thanks for all the suggestions

i have to watch what i actually give baillie as she eats EVERYTHING :scared: i love the idea of hiding food in toilet rolls and things for her to have to work at to get but she has this thing for swallowing anything we give her toy wise, i had to take her football away the other day because she was ripping the leather off and swallowing it. i've spent a fortune on toys and she's killed them all, suppose thats the joys of owning a staffie.:D she also has a fetish for toilet roll she sneaks into the bathroom and rips it to bits!!

i think i'll try hiding the food around the garden and i'll find some pots to hide some treats under also.

welshcrazy i love the idea of hiding toys in a sandpit but she'd eat the sand :lol:

rona unfortunately i dont drive and hubby is away at mansfield for work but when he is home i'll defo see if we can find somewhere to take baillie i'm just so frightened to take her out incase a dog gets to her, i sooo dont want pups and dont want anything happening to her. will have a look though to find somewhere secluded.

thanks again x

9. FRAZ

FRAZ PetForums Member

Can I ask waht yopu are feeding your dog? some foods can cause your dog to be hyperactive.

10. Pet Cartoons

Pet Cartoons PetForums Junior

My Lab Fred likes me to chase him around the settee playing tug with a soft toy as we go. Tires us both out!

11. xxbailliexx

hi there baillie is fed on james wellbeloved i have heard some people say this makes their dog hyper and we have been thinking of changing but have'nt decided what to yet.

12. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

This one really works, it keeps Bobby quiet for about a half hour. You could do it with bigger inners for Bailey if you can get them - say from kitchen roll or whatever you can get your hands on

13. FRAZ

FRAZ PetForums Member

An alternative might be Burns Alert. It has been manufactured with assistance dogs in mind, ie guide dogs. Dogs that require mental awareness but low or moderate levels of physical activity. Dogs that must remain calm and well behaheved. It is also VAT free making it slightly cheaper than similar brands.

Burns Pet Nutrition, Burns ALERT Chicken & Brown Rice UK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice