UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I did post this in the grooming forum but don't think many people tend to go in there so thought I'd try it here too.

When is the best time to take a Shihtzu puppy to be groomed for the first time?

I will start getting her used to being brushed and handled immediately but I saw a clip online of a lady who shaves the dogs bottom slightly to enable her to keep it cleaner and she also clipped the nails before bathing the puppy at 11wks. These sorts of things I would like to be shown by a professional before attempting to do it myself.

I'd like my shihtzu to have a shorter coat (but still the beautiful tail and ears) so what age is best to begin complete grooming? Are the anal glands expressed whilst they are in for grooming?

Thanks! x

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Can't help with a Shih-Tzu as I have a Bichon but Poppy was exactly 4 months old when she had her first clip.

Be guided by how her coat grows but also check out local groomers and be guided by what they say. My groomer likes to have dogs from their first puppy clip and will just do a bath and a bit of a clip to get them used to it. She does nails and ears as and when they need it as a matter of course, all in for the same price, same for anal glands but Poppy's never had a problem.

Before first clip:

And after her clip:

and 3 days later with her sister (top step and desperately in need of a clip):

·
Registered
315 Posts
Can't help with a Shih-Tzu as I have a Bichon but Poppy was exactly 4 months old when she had her first clip.

Be guided by how her coat grows but also check out local groomers and be guided by what they say. My groomer likes to have dogs from their first puppy clip and will just do a bath and a bit of a clip to get them used to it. She does nails and ears as and when they need it as a matter of course, all in for the same price, same for anal glands but Poppy's never had a problem.

Before first clip:

And after her clip:

and 3 days later with her sister (top step and desperately in need of a clip):

I have a maltese, shihtzu cross and have been told to take him for a cut in November, he'll be 4 months old by then, if that helps.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for that. Would it be ok to take her to a groomers once shes had all her vaccinations so she can get used to the groomer? I figured the groomer could show me the correct way to clip her nails etc so then I feel confident doing it and pup gets a bit of practice at the hair salon! :)

Your bichon is lovely by the way. They are such 'smiley' cute dogs.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I can't remember exactly when we got Oscars first haircut but he was around 6 months old I think...up until then, we just had to bathe his bottom every now and then to stop it getting messy and wipe his face after his dinner. Anal glands should be left well alone unless they become a problem later on - if the groomer (or vet) expresses her glands early on, then she may have trouble expressing naturally at all.

Our groomer comes to the house and we don't leave him, so he's always with someone he knows. Ask for a puppy cut and make sure they go easy on her ears and tail as they take ages to grow back! Get her used to being brushed beforehand and touched all over. And if she gets some road walks as well as grass walks, she probably will never need his claws clipped between grooms.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Hi, thanks for that. Would it be ok to take her to a groomers once shes had all her vaccinations so she can get used to the groomer? I figured the groomer could show me the correct way to clip her nails etc so then I feel confident doing it and pup gets a bit of practice at the hair salon! :)

Your bichon is lovely by the way. They are such 'smiley' cute dogs.
Thank you. She's all grown up now so looks a bit different and unfortunately has tear stains which I've been battling with for a long time without success :( but it doesn't change her personality.

Your pup could go for a bath and get used to the groomer, salon noises, etc. My son has Poppy's sister, Lottie, and has recently taken on an ex-breeding puppy farm Bichon girl, Jessie, whose coat had been completely clipped right down. They're both going to the groomers tomorrow. Lottie for the full works, Jessie just for a bath and the experience as she's never known normal grooming before.

Depending on how often your dog will need professional grooming, you may never need to do her nails especially if she gets some hard surface walks as Argent says. Poppy's coat grows at an alarming rate and to keep it manageable and easy for me to brush every day she goes every 5 weeks, her nails only need doing on the odd occasion as we incorporate some road walking every day as I'm within walking distance of the beach.

It's nice to see you doing all this research before getting your pup, you will be well prepared when she comes :thumbup1:.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
We take them from 5 months.

Have have littte bertie a Shih Tzu Im hoping to keep him in a full coat he's 7monts old now. people seem to presume that all Shih Tzu's NEED to be clipped off.

Some are clipped as owners can't cope with the coats and when we get them they are so matted that we've no choice but to clip everything off.

Bertie gets groomed every night He sits on my lap while i'm relaxing after work.

So even though i'm a groomer and clip dogs everyday I'm keeping Bertie in a full coat I obviously Trim around his Eyes/Bum/willy and between his pads.

He now has a topknot and looks Brill it is hard though as they have a very High maintenance Coat but it is well worth it.

3 mths old...............................

6 mths.......

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We take them from 5 months.

Have have littte bertie a Shih Tzu Im hoping to keep him in a full coat he's 7monts old now. people seem to presume that all Shih Tzu's NEED to be clipped off.

Some are clipped as owners can't cope with the coats and when we get them they are so matted that we've no choice but to clip everything off.

Bertie gets groomed every night He sits on my lap while i'm relaxing after work.

So even though i'm a groomer and clip dogs everyday I'm keeping Bertie in a full coat I obviously Trim around his Eyes/Bum/willy and between his pads.

He now has a topknot and looks Brill it is hard though as they have a very High maintenance Coat but it is well worth it.
I wouldn't have her groomed until she was older and her adult coat is coming through (depending on when that is). I have been looking into raising a puppy and the importance of getting puppies used to everything they will deal with as an adult, seems to be very high! As mentioned in another post I just want my puppy to get used to being handled by a groomer and the noises in a grooming salon.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I wouldn't have her groomed until she was older and her adult coat is coming through (depending on when that is). I have been looking into raising a puppy and the importance of getting puppies used to everything they will deal with as an adult, seems to be very high! As mentioned in another post I just want my puppy to get used to being handled by a groomer and the noises in a grooming salon.
You can have a puppy pamper nails Clipped a trim up and a pampering Bath it is a good idea to get them used to it a a young age that way they are used to it and take going to their Groomer as a lovely experience they grow up with it so class as the norm :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.