Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any recommendations for nail grinders?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by pickle, Apr 9, 2017.

1. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

Hi, been using a dremel to grind my dogs nails for years but my machine is dying. So, what I am asking is can anyone recommend a good, quietish grinder please? I've been googling and there are several that seem to be suitable but then I read a review and think oh dear. My original dremel is just the standard tool, not dog designated! It has served me perfectly well but I think I should really get the proper dog type, as my youngest doesn't seem too happy with the noise. Anyone got a suggestion? Thank you.

2. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

I shall be watching this thread with great interest as I'm looking at buying one.

3. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I have the Dremel 3000 but only got it last week and I'm currently still conditioning my dog to its use.

So yeah, I am absolutely no help.

But it's on special for £34 in B&Q at the minute...

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Katalyst likes this.
  6. planete

planete PetForums Senior

I have also got the Dremel 3000. Great value for money and copes well with my four dogs rather tough nails. Variable speed too.

7. shinra

shinra PetForums Member

micro dremel 8050, cordless, powerful, has a light so you can see, & instantly stops if its caught in anything so very safe.

8. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

Smokey bear, I'm in the UK and that appears to be in the US? Going to take a look at the dremel 3000.Thanks folks! Wanted a corded one as reviews say the battery doesn't last very long. Will update once I've decided.

9. kare

kare PetForums VIP

I use the 3000.
    Really in the UK there is a limited range and it is normally the only one available at a price that equals the best quality for money

HOWEVER
    Currently Screwfix have the UK version of the 8050 at £72.16 A good £25-40 cheaper than I have ever seen before.(i cannot see a difference in the UK to US version, but they have made different models for each before, normally with slightly different model numbers)

This is widely reviewed as the BEST nail grinder for dogs across sites I have read.

Were I looking to buy one right now, or rather had not just spent a ton on garden improvements trust me this would be the one I would order even at twice the price of a 3000

10. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

Ok, so this is what I've done! Went to B and Q because I had every intention of getting the dremel 3000. However what I bought was the 200. After comparing the two what decided me was the 200 was less bulky, although the 3000 was reduced so was in fact £3 cheaper than the 200. I have to report my preliminary use, I got to work straight away on my oldest, calmest dog, it is extremely quiet on the slowest setting which was perfectly adequate to do the job. So all in all at the moment I feel quite satisfied with my choice. Watch this space!

Katalyst likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice