Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any problems with keeping a male from the litter with mum?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jeblee, Aug 13, 2009.

1. jeblee

jeblee PetForums Junior

Bit of a weird question but I've heard all sorts of advice from lots of different people and I don't know who to believe.

I adopted a cat from a lady who claimed she couldn't afford to keep her anymore, I was a bit unsure because its not been long since my last cat got run over but when I saw their two wide screen tellys :cursing: and the size of what was supposed to be a 1 year old cat I grabbed her and ran! It was the next day that I found out she was 3 weeks pregnant! :eek: But I'm glad to say that she is very fit and healthy, the condition of her fur is now normal and her runny nose has completely stopped and huraah she gave birth to 5 very cute and healthy kittens on tuesday. They're pretty easy to sex already, 4 boys and 1 girl. I wanted to keep a boy because I like they're playful nature as kittens and I think that might be what I'm left with once I try rehoming them anyway. But I seem to be met with complete horror when I tell people I'm going to keep a boy with its mother.
    Mummy will be going off for a neuter as soon as the kittens are weaned and I would definatly neuter the son as soon as hes old enough so I don't see a problem. One person said the male could be violent or try mating with its mother? I know one example where the mother hated her son and would leave the room if he entered but I think that may have had something to do with the owners. Is anyone else in this situation or at least have some advise I can believe?

2. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

There is no problem if they are both to be fixed,
    we have kept a male and female from a litter (both of wich are fixed) and have never had a problem

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

there is absolutely no problem with it at all as long as they are both nutered. when i was young we had 2 sister cats and one had kittens, we kept one of her sons and the other boy went next door. there would only be an issue if you were wanting to breed from them and you have already said you are getting her dressed so no issues what so ever

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice