Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any people who know about fish tanks!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 5, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I need some help over in the fish section, people have looked at my post and not replied and I am getting the tank today

Need to know if I can sit a 4ft tank on a 3.5ft unit while its empty please.

x

2. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I hope someone can answer your question, i'm not really sure though! I suppose you might be okay, but i dunno! Ah sorry totally usless response!

3. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Sorry - can't help you there as I got my tank and unit as a set (I don't look in the fish section on here).

Looking at mine, the cabinet part of the base is smaller than the tank & the top is the same size as the base of the tank. I would guess though that if the weight is evenly distributed it should be okay (don't hold me to it). You may want to put a piece of wood, the same size as the base of the tank, on top of the unit & then put the tank on that.

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

I would say yes if its empty but not when its full of water..

Pleccy be the one to answer that give him a PM..:D

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

While its empty thats fine, its when its full you would run into problems, as the weight wont be evenly distributed.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Have pm pleccy :)

I have seen fish tanks with cabinets shorter but the top has a wider bit for the tank to sit on so I guess if i got a solid bit of wood then polystyrene it might be ok?
    Will be a LONG time before there's any water in it, got to make a lid first and going to have a 3D background so got to cut all that to size :) It's going to be a great tank! :D

x

7. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Could your OH not mybe add a bit on at each end to make it same size as tank?...:idea:

Yeah i herd that tanks can crack or split if not on the right size stand..:eek:

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah, I don;t want that to happen! I'm hoping that with only 3" overhang at each side it will be ok on a solid bit of wood. If not, I will just have to find a new unit that is longer! Lol

Like this.. this unit is shorter but with a bit ontop..

x[​IMG]

#8 PoisonGirl, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice