Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any other Raw feeders who don't use minces?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Themis, May 11, 2010.

1. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

Just curiouus really, as most of the posts I see mention prefab complete minces or making food at home using "recipes".

I have given my 2 some whole minced Rabbit from Woldsway but in general I follow the 80/10/10 principle.

2. elsiea

elsiea PetForums Junior

Me :thumbup:
    My cat was weaned on RAW, so by the time I got her at 14 weeks, she was a pro.
    I'll give her a large chunk of meat, normally about 100g. The only thing she gets chopped up is liver, as she seems to prefer it that way.

3. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

What bone do you feed yours?

Mine have become very lazy and aren't eating chicken wings like they used to so I've had to supplement a bit with egg shell. It is way too much hard work to keep grinding them though so I really want to get them eating bone again.

4. Catlover2

Catlover2 PetForums Member

I feed mine the Darlings minces - keep meaning to get around to making my own but it's sooooo easy just to order it!

The bone in rabbit chunks from Woldway are really good - mine will always eat those but aren't fussed about chicken wings (although the bone in rabbit is expensive).

~x~

5. elsiea

elsiea PetForums Junior

She does like chicken wings, but also eats pieces of the carcass, duck too, and the necks as well. I think that chicken/duck/rabbit ribs would be worth a try, as they aren't as much hard work. When she's munching through some bone in breast, she barely notices the ribs.
    I'm lucky that her very favourite treat is a whole chick, which she has most days, so on the occasions that she is being fussy about something, I know that she's still had a small "hit" of everything she needs.

6. Catlover2

where do you get your chicks from? I thought about this but feel a bit squeamish....

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Same here but I am warming to the idea. I think you can get them from reptile online stores such as Honeybrookfarm

Check out this link United Kingdom Raw Meaty Bones Support & Action Group

8. Catlover2

I looked at that site and it suggests whole crickets as a food for cats?? I feed these to Carmen, my tarantula!

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Maybe Carmen can learn to share :thumbup: If you go to the links site then you can find some national links to suppliers of chicks, mice etc.

10. Catlover2

that would be moneysaving indeed, as she only eats 2 a week and I can only keep them going for so long......:thumbup:

11. elsiea

elsiea PetForums Junior

I get them from the reptile shop down the road. It's £4.50 for a bag of 50.

When I first brought her home, she had one in her kitten pack as a settling in treat. After seeing how much she enjoyed it I had to continue, though I admit that I do say sorry to each one as I take them out of their bag to defrost :eek:
    I thought that my girls would be upset about me feeding them to her, but my eldest (10) said that if it's what's best for Kace, then she wanted her to have them, and sometimes likes to be the one to feed one to her :D

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Shame one cannot just get one - I am loathe to buy a bag of 10 or 50 only to find that my cats don't quite agree with nutritional advice :D

Having said that, Catlover2 - I will try them if you will :D

13. elsiea

elsiea PetForums Junior

Sorry, I can't think of a suitable way to send you one, could give your postman a bit of a shock!

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Can you imagine - a bow tied round it and gift wrapped! :lol: Thanks for the kind thought though!

15. Catlover2

but....chicks are so cute though.... I have to say that I feel a certain morbid fascination as to whether my 4 would eat them.... Might investigate a local source.:eek:

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

They are only the male chicks that have got no egg laying potential, aren't they? But I have no idea and am not sure I want to know where they end up otherwise :(

I think I am talking myself into trying them on our cats... Do you feed them completely complete?

17. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Hobbs2004, if you've got a reptile supplies shop near by, give them a ring to see if they sell singles. I visited one about 4 years ago (I went for mice) but they did sell singles as well as bagged multiples.

Re minces - I've still got several weeks supply of the food4cats minces in the freezer. My cats' still struggle with bone, so I'll just have to mince my own once the food4cats runs out. However, unless necessary (as in my case) I don't believe in feeding them if the cats are capable of eating whole chunks/bone. I raw/whole prey fed my ferrets for several years, and never once fed mince to them. They ate large pieces of meat on the bone, offal, and whole mice. This is ideally how I hope to have my cats' feeding eventually :)

18. elsiea

elsiea PetForums Junior

Yes, it's all gone in les than a minute these days. I used to have to feed her chicks in a crate, as she liked to "kill" them first, but these days she can't wait that long :D

19. elsiea

elsiea PetForums Junior

I have never transitioned to RAW, but would it help if you fed small chunks of meat, getting larger as they build up the muscle until they can tackle bone? I would imagine it is hard to go from mince to bone in one step :confused1:

20. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Hi, yes, this is what I'm doing at the moment. They get a wing bone each a couple of times a week. One can manage to eat some of it, but the other cat has only got as far as making the odd 'crack' of the bone, but as yet, not managed to get any further. They're both able to eat small strips of meat too, so I'm hoping in time, Ill have them both managing whole bone, and large chunks. It's just a case of sticking with it and letting them go at their own pace...But, I'm sure we'll get there eventually :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice