Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any more tips?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, May 1, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ive had an email from someone looking for advice on her sisters dog.

10 month old entire westie male.

For a couple of months now he has had a bit of a temper on him and recently bit her face quite badly.
    He growls if you try and make him do anything, he use to sleep in the kitchen but now she is scared he is going to turn on her so she lets him do what he wants.... sleep in the middle of there bed and growls and barks most of the night!

I told her to get him to the vet for a check over, get in touch with an APBC behaviourist and meanwhile to leave a lightweight lead on him in the house so she can move him.

She's had him at the vets and he can't see anything wrong with him, but have advised to have his 'wee op' done.
    They put a light lead on him and he keeps chewing it.

I said to get one of the cheap crappy chain leads from poundshop and if she is really scared of being bitten then get a basket muzzle fitted.

Told her to make sure doors are closed so he cannot get up the stairs, don't let him on the furniture etc and at night, use the lead to put him in the kitchen and leave him to it... it might take a good few sleepless nights but to just ignore him.

I've said I will go and see them on monday to give them some pointers in training and how to deal with him meanwhile (although I cannot be certain they will get a behaviourist but I will say again that I strongly advise it)

Now I am not one for the whole dominance theory stuff... but it does sound like this little man has been getting used to having his own way and wants it all his way or no way.

She has said if it continues she will have to rehome him and personally I don't think it fair to pass on a dog with problems and I certainly couldn't rehome a dog who had bitten my face to anyone.

If anyone has anything else that might be helpful? :)

2. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

What damage was done when he bit her? This is very important information.

For a face bite to an adult its also important to know the exact circs.

Are there children in this house?

I would say that this is exactly the sort of dog that shouldn't be sleeping ina bed with humans. What if one of them rolls over or hits him accidentally - he may bite them very badly in that situation.

Unless the vet did a behaviour work up including blood work his conclusion is not really valid.

This guy is going through a major spike in testosterone as an entire teenager, is of a type of dog that can be quick fire.
    I worry that there has been perhaps some confrontation in this little fellas history and certainly it seems that the early signs of discomfort are ignored.

The drag line is a good idea. Why is he getting the op to chew it? It should only be worn when the dog is closely supervised.

Babygates are also a must.

She will also, as a management strategy, need to employ some non-confrontational diversionary techniques such as throwing food away from her or some other problem so that she doesn't have to touch him or handle him.

But, a behaviourist referral is essential for this dog. This dog is not in condition to be rehomed, responsibly anyway. APBC referral may be covered by some pet insurance policies.
    Be very careful about the advice given in relation to dogs that have bitten or are likely to bite - you may be liabel.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thank you :)
    I am not going to tell her how she might be able to fix the dog, just give her some pointers in managing him meanwhile.
    I will tell her to go back to the vet and get the full works tested. It was just his ears and skin the vet looket at :confused: not sure what that was going to tell him!

I don't think there are children. And she needed stitches after being bitten!

4. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

re the stitches - the details of the circumstances surrounding this bite will be vital. That the dog broke the skin is concerning, but skin on the face is easy to break.

Best of luck, do your best to convince her to go the vet referral/APBC route :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice