Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any left handed groomers?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Tigerneko, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Bit of an odd one lol but is anyone else left handed? If so, do you use left handed scissors or can you manage with normal ones?

My general use scissors are Roseline ones and tbh I dont think they are for either hand - I use them with my left and have never found a problem yet.

The Roo scissors thread got me thinking about this - I could do with a pair of decent bull nose scissors but wasn't sure if they'd do for me.

I could probably train myself to use my right hand but its probably more hassle than it's worth.

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Anyone? No?

Looks like im the only cack handed groomer then :lol:

3. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'm Cack handed as well- I'm doing a month long intensive course nexy month. I dont think I could do it right handed- it isn't something I'd thought about:eek: Do you have much of a problem?

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I haven't had too many problems but did struggle sometimes with scissors that the groomer I used to work with had, I can't use the really big fancy ones as they're often not right.

Other than that it's not really much of an issue but I do seem to be a bit more 'clumsy' than others lol that's probably just me though!

Where are you doing your intensive course? I've just emailled a grooming school this morning to enquire about a course but I would prefer to do a home study one really.

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'll be doing my course over here, its a British run school. :)

6. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

I'm left handed too. Could never use my right hand. I always have had Roseline normal and they are fine

7. sonia123

sonia123 PetForums Member

im left handed too i always used left handed scissors when i was younger but as i got older i learnt myself to use right handed scissors:D

8. furballs

furballs PetForums Newbie

I scrolled past this post because its not really relavent to me,
    although i am left handed, iv used right handed scissors since i was about 7 or so, so its not a problem for me, but i was thinking it would be kool to learn to groom equaly with both hands, would make it easier to do the other side, and make it symmetrical!
    I might give it a go!

9. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

I'm left handed, although i can clip with both hands (very useful!)
    I have both left and right handed scissors and they both blunt just as quick (i say blunt i mean don't cut well, sometimes tightening helps) I put this down to the fact that i use right handed scissors in my left hand which causes a bit of a problem with the cutting action, but i use left handed scissors as if i'm using right handed ones so again causes problems with the cutting action!
    I just have lots of pairs on rotation and for differnt jobs!
    J

10. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Ok so I'm not left-handed however it was suggested to me to learn to use my left hand as apparently being able to use both hands is easier... Yeah it's not.. I feel so stupid when I have scissors in my left hand, I try mimic the actions of my right hand but it just doesn't work lol. We're all right handed in our salon

11. furballs

furballs PetForums Newbie

i thought everyone clipped with both hands, im not sure how i'd do it all in one hand, you'd have to hold the clippers all wrong surly..?! i cant remember what my tutor or any one else iv seen does!, hu! But trying to scissor with both hands is another story..! i wouldnt want to mess up a dog practicing! :p

12. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I am a leftie too, but am not a dog groomer, lol!!:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice