UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after some advice....

We're organising a surprise party for dads 60th in a few weeks time and for some insane reason I have decided to do the catering myself (for about 40 people :eek: ) We've decided to go for several big vats of food to go with jacket spuds or rice. I've been looking at recipes and am thinking of doing:

Vegetarian Chilli
Beef Stifado
Arroz Chicken
Prawn and coconut curry

Hoping that will cover all tastes and dietary requirements.

I was planning to make them all in advance and then just heat them up on the night and leave them bubbbling away in either slow cookers on on the hob so that people can help themselves.

What I want to know is - Can I make all of these dishes in advance and freeze them until the day?

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
yes you can freeze

Cook them to at least 75C first, allow to cool naturally, put in freezer

Get out night before you need allow to defrost naturally, then warm in the oven to 75C especially your meat.

When you leave people to pick for themselves, the vats MUST be changed every 4 hours due to bacteria

I work in a kitchen :)

G

·
Don't know what stifado is...

Wondering if you should have a more bland, traditional beef casserole, no high spices, for older people, who don't like 'foreign' food/strong flavours. Just add some dried mixed herbs, to taste.

I steer away from seafood. Too many horror stories. Can you make sure the veg chili has no flour, as thickener, as well, then it can be gluten free, and vegan, as well.

Would it be worth doing a half dozen emergency veg puff pastries with creamed corn/cheese, mixed veg, for vegos that can't cope with chilli? They could be made earlier, and then just heated in oven.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I freeze coconut milk all the time too - there is too much in a tin for a meal for two. It's always fine (not exactly scientific I know!), tastes fine, no ill effects.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know what stifado is...

Wondering if you should have a more bland, traditional beef casserole, no high spices, for older people, who don't like 'foreign' food/strong flavours. Just add some dried mixed herbs, to taste.

I steer away from seafood. Too many horror stories. Can you make sure the veg chili has no flour, as thickener, as well, then it can be gluten free, and vegan, as well.

Would it be worth doing a half dozen emergency veg puff pastries with creamed corn/cheese, mixed veg, for vegos that can't cope with chilli? They could be made earlier, and then just heated in oven.
Hi, thanks for the advice. None of the dishes are particularly hot and yep the veggie chilli is gluten free too.

I know all of the guests pretty well and have checked any specific dietary requirements so think I've pretty much covered everything.

There's only one veggie but she does eat seafood so figured she'd have the choice of either the veggie chilli or the prawn curry. There are a couple of gluten intolerant people and one dairy free one too.

Other than that everyone else is like me........... eats ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!! :lol:

I was also going to do a load of corn on the cobs, jacket spuds, crusty bread, and a massive cheese board so hopefully no-one will go hungry!

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
MM master chef says fine to freeze with the coconut milk & if need be just knock it down - what? :confused: Apparently means if looks a bit thick or curdly just add a bit extra cream and stir (think thats what he meant but don't blame me if it goes wrong)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.