Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any issue with feeding alot of rabbit?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kate_7590, Sep 8, 2013.

1. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

A friend of ours may be able to get us a constant supply of wild rabbits, so I was just wondering if there would be any reason not to feed it regularly?
    Im thinking at the moment of feeding half rabbit and half chicken carcass as their bone, then a bigger variety of mince/ meat.

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

During bunny season, mine can have it anywhere up to five days a week - they catch their own so there is a plentiful supply, and it's free food after all! Providing a variety of other meats are still fed, it's no problem at all :)

3. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Don't rely purely on rabbit. It's so low in fat that the dog is likely to lose weight and 'starve'. It's a common problem that isn't discussed enough. However, if feeding other protein, you should be ok. Also worm regularly, they can be full of nasties!

#3 cinnamontoast, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  4. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

They wont have just rabbit, they will have alot of other meats/ minces too.
    I also worm with DE :)

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If feeding lots of wild rabbit, I would personally use a good, broad spectrum reliable coventional worming medication.

6. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

It would be an issue for me, Dougie doesn't like rabbit - fussy dog:rolleyes:

7. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Which wormer would be best, and how often please :)

8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I alternate between Drontal, Cestem, Panacur and Plerion - four times a year :)

9. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I feed alot of wild rabbit when i have it and i have always wormed with DE but do worm counts a couple of times a year :)

10. cinnamontoast

Worm counts don't detect encysted red worm or tapeworm, they need blood tests. I certainly wouldn't rely on DE.

11. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

and i won't use commercial wormers ;)

12. cinnamontoast

A personal choice, but how do you eradicate the risk of tapeworm etc? Honestly interested!

13. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

DE is supposedly meant to kill tapeworm, that and garlic and ACV again i can't prove it but have read it in a lot of places.

Each to their own but the low risk of them getting a tapeworm and the fact that they get DE multiple times a week is honestly enough for me

14. cinnamontoast

Interesting. I don't personally see how de can kill tapeworms and anecdotal evidence wouldn't swing it for me. I worm count the horse but he gets pyratape or similar because I can't risk him and I've seen some horrific worms come out dead after a commercial wormer :eek: A friend's horse died of worm infestation soon after she got him :(

It's a personal choice, as I say, and I've never seen adverse reactions in the dogs to wormers (but I have in a horse). It's a dilemma, I suppose.

15. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I understand how DE works and how it works against worms/parasites whatever whether it's 100% effective against tapeworms i guess we won't know unless proper extensive research is done.

Certainly a dilemma though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice