Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any ideas???

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sarah+Hammies, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

Does anyone have any ideas for a chew thing for Mr Chip my syrian hammie?

Hes not interested in chewing anything except the bars of his cage which isnt good for him so i need to spice things up a bit for him.

I usually just go and buy some things from the pet shop but i've noticed lately that theyre bumping their prices up a bit and id rather spend my money on bigger and better housing for my hammies eventually so i'd rather get creative but im stuck for ideas :blushing:

I noticed that some of you like to give your babies apple tree branches...i have 3 apple trees in my garden but they were there before i moved in so im not sure if they are safe. What do you think?

Thanks for reading :thumbup1:

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

First thing is probably to discourage him from bar chewing, pet shops sell a stick that you rub onto the bars that tastes bitter, you can also get a spray I think (I jusat use lemons with my rats).

Ad for the tree, I think that cutting sections of branch off and allowing them to dry ouit for a day or 2 is the best option... So long as they aren't crawling with insects or whatever they should be good :) If you get big enough ones they're also good for climbing frames as well :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

your tree should be ok, provided youve never used any chemicals on it. if none have been used on it in the last few years then id give him a bit to try. its good for climbing too, have you tried willow toys??

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

oooh yeah Cassie mentioning the willow things reminded me...

In a lot of pound shops they sell willow sticks as borders. They are untreated and held together with wire and cost 3 quid for 3 metres of the stuff. You can make bridges, tunnels, mini hides or shelves out of them very easily :)

Might be worth considering.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

WOW... 3 quid from the pound shop! You crack me up!! :lol:

6. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Better than 3 quid for 10 poxy sticks from pets at home :p

Peace
    Akai-Chan

7. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

Thanks for that :thumbup1:

I've only lived where i am for 2 months so im not sure about the last few years so i think maybe i'll leave that idea for a while and try willow sticks :D

Thanks for the replies its very much appreciated

xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice