Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any Ideas what it could be?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by shoreset, Sep 21, 2013.

1. shoreset

shoreset PetForums Senior

Before anyone says "take him to the vets", he was there on friday (yesterday), and is booked back in for monday morning.

Took him to the vets yesterday as he just wasn't well and acting out of character (being clingy and soppy and sleepy), found no obvious physical signs of anything but did have a high temperature. I was given antibiotic tablets to give him one a day and to take him back on monday.

Got home, gave him a tablet. Few hours later he was much brighter and happier, went and bought a thermometer and that evening his temp had dropped to 38c. Today he is more or less back to his normal self and his temp is now 37.5c.

But now I have found a "lump", just below his spine. It looks like a tick, except that it doesn't. Its the sort of shape of a tick, but its sort of a see throughy white colour like a cross between a water blister and a wart, and it is quite hard not squishy. Tried to take a photo of it, but he wanted to see what I was doing and wouldn't stay still.

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

A pic would be good ..... are you absolutely 100% sure it's not a tick?

They come in different colours and Maisie had one not very long ago that was nothing like any I'd ever seen before! (and we get quite a few of the pesky things here unfortunately)

3. shoreset

I'm not 100% sure :eek: and just to be safe I have front lined him and sprayed frontline spray on it.

My phone camera is no good and it looks like a pink blob on my phone, even though it is not pink, which does make it look extremely tick like. Trying to hold my big camera and keep Kaiser still is proving tricky but I will succeed and upload a pic!

4. shoreset

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It looks exceptionally like a tick to me! If you pull whilst turning it ant-clockwise, it should come out clean and complete with head. Obviously if it won't shift with light pressure, or looks firmly attached, then leave it until the vets on Monday - but I'm willing to bet that it is a tick :)

6. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Yup, I'd say it was a tick

It looks pretty similar to the one she had (I'd never seen them like that either)

7. shoreset

all the ticks I've seen before were either dark or resembled a pebble. :eek: I'm going to give it another tug, if it is a tick I want that bugger out!!

Now I feel all itchy and sick!

8. shoreset

if it is a tick then its on steroids, that sod aint coming out. I pulled and twisted hard as I could (without hurting Kaiser too much), and he whimpered but "it" didn't budge :(

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

What's it like where it meets Kaiser's skin? Can you see if it's a foreign body that's attached, or something that is covered by skin?

I'm really certain it is a tick - if you can't get it out, don't worry, it won't be harmful left until Monday - just remember do NOT put ANYTHING actually ON the tick itself.

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

It's a tick. If you can't remove it then let your vet do it on Monday.

11. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Snap :eek:

I had no idea there were different kinds!

12. shoreset

I can't quite tell, i think it's a little sore because he's not liking me looking too close, but it looks sort of blended in with the skin. It definitely wasn't budging when I tried to remove it.

I just hate the thought of it being left on him if it is a tick :mad: Atleast the vets is booked for 9:30 so i don't have to wait ages on Monday

13. shoreset

I feel sick now, just been googling different varieties of tick. They really are ugly repulsive little things!

14. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It won't be hurting him - but if you're very worried, the vets inside Pets At Home opens on a Sunday, and I'm sure one of the nurses will remove it for you without an appointment.

15. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

16. shoreset

I tried again this morning, but I can't get it out :( . I'm going to just wait and let the vet do it on Monday. I've never actually done one myself before, someones always done it for me :eek: So I'll ask the vet to show me properly.

I thought Frontline was supposed to "repel" them?

17. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

Have you got a tick twister? That would help.

Ticks when engorged do look more white than black, it's the smaller ones that look black and shiney. I'd worry about leaving it attached for another 24 hours as the longer they are left attached the more risk there is of it passing on infection, especially if you've been poking it about trying to get it out (they regurgitate when stressed).

I'm wondering if it's dead actually, maybe that's why it looks funny and won't come out? Usually they drop off when they are full.

18. shoreset

Thought you might like a update. Wasn't a tick, was a cyst that has now been removed :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice