Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

any ideas what could be wrong with syd?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Leah84, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

taking my syd to the vet tomorrow, kinda nervous....well actually petrified tbh. since we got him he`s had really concentrated urine but vets always said it tested fine, he`s always had a rotten tooth but wasn`t causing him problems so they left it like that and also he seems to have put on a load of weight even though he`s not eating much and is walked the same as my jake who could actually be doing with gaining a kilo.

he`s been getting excited about his food then not eating it but waiting for me to scoop it up to eat off my hand and is trying to chew on things he never did before so i`m sure the tooth is now proving painful. i can`t work out the weight gain, he eats skinners duck and rice and only takes 250g per day which is less than the recommended for his breed and also walks around 5miles a day (he can`t ever be allowed off lead, not my choice but just can`t happen), he`s become very very clingy to me, always been a mama`s boy since we adopted him but at night he wants me to cuddle him to sleep now. i`m really hoping it`s something and nothing but deep down i know it has to be something. i do hope it`s simple, i`ve kind of become reliant on him as he`s like a therapy dog for me an he`s the only thing that helps with my panic disorder, i couldn`t bear him to be ill as he`s just so special. sorry i rarely ever post on here these days an i`m rambling on, just really worried. gonna try a new vet tomorrow too as i think we need a fresh prospective, i`m not too happy with the way my normal vets have been with my jake recently

i had thought maybe a thyroid problem for the weight gain but i`ve never had experience of that. any ideas of what i should be asking from the vets tomorrow? i`m gonna request the bad tooth be removed as the gum around is slightly inflamed now so it`s no longer 'not an issue' and i want his urine tested but otherwise i`m clueless

2. Nat28

Nat28 PetForums Member

I really feel for you. One thing you should not do is google the symptoms it will just make you more worried. Xx

3. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

that`s my worst downfall (even with myself) checking on google. poor mite has pulled out the baby`s changing mat an curled up on it looking sorry for himself :(

4. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

I can't suggest what to ask but if I were you I would write down all the things you have noticed about him. Doctors and vets my brain just malfunctions and I get out and think of all the things I should have mentioned. Hope you get the answers that you want.

5. tailtickle

tailtickle PetForums Senior

So sorry to hear that your boy is not well, and also giving symptoms that concern you.

Firstly, deal with the teeth. This in itself will help him feel better. If you are seeing a Vet tomorrow, and Syd as not eaten this evening, then I think I would perhaps not offer any food until you see the Vet (just in case the Vet can operate the same day).

Then, you can also address your other concerns, but at least his teeth will be better. One step at a time ..... and hopefully all will be well.

tailtickle x

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

At a guess it could be well to do with his rotten tooth/teeth. If he seems excited about food and wont eat from the bowl perhaps its now made eating difficult or painful so maybe its because its easier to eat if you hand feed.
    The tooth could also have an infected root now. Rotten teeth and peridontal disease and the bacteria can also cause systemic infections in other parts of the body and organs like kidney and liver bacterial infections, so as well as the pain and discomfort that may now be coming from the tooth he may feel generally rough too. Sometimes if they do have pain or discomfort or unwell then can get very clingy too. I notice you said he has always had concentrated urine? Did they just put the dip stick in to check it, or did they do a proper urinalysis test including specific gravity? If they havent then that tells a lot more. About how the kidneys are working and possible causes why the urine might be concentrated. Have they ever done blood tests as well, thats usually a good alround indicator and health screen and makes sure that every things working properly and there is no signs of systemic infection.

Weight gain with no change to exercise levels and diet is often an indicator of hypo thyroid as you said and if its at a point where they thyroid hormones are getting low, doesnt matter how little you feed or exercise weight will still increase. Thyroid can also cause changes in behaviour too, making a dog be nervous/fearful and some can become agressive. Another interesting thing too is that you/they cant regulate your body temperature and also feel cold.
    Which could also explain why the wanting to cuddle up and also if he is always curled up in a ball to sleep thats often classic too. Not sure how old he is? But if he is an older dog especially wouldnt hurt giving him a through MOT in general anyway. I always have regular MOTs on my lot as they get older. Even if he is a younger dog there is one form of hypo thyroid thats genetic and makes an appearance before 3 years old, as well as the idiopathic form (unknown cause) that can come on in older age.

If it was me personally, I would want to discuss the tooth and the likelyhood that it does need removing. Want him to have full hemotology and biochemistry blood tests and also a full urinalysis including specific gravity.
    I would also mention the increase weight gain without change to diet and exercise levels and the possibility of a Full Thyroid panel. Assuming of course your other vet didnt do any of this.

7. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

thanks for all the advice, so helpful!!!

he`s booked in for 345 today - earliest they could get him in as they think he`ll need a double appt in case they wanna do bloods today. they said if the tooth needs pulled he`ll have to go in at 8am tomorrow morning an stay in for the day - found that weird as my old vet i took jake in with a rotten puppy tooth an he put him under, pulled it out an gave him a jab to reverse the anesthetic so he was in an out within 30mins. i told them i`m not really happy with my own vet an even the receptionist seemed more helpful with it all. she`s asked me to bring a urine sample so they can test it an it can be sent off is need be. now for the tricky part, i been out in the garden with a pan all morning but he won`t pee when i`m watching lol. any tips to get a sample?

forgot to say, i`m not sure what age he is. we got him may 2011 an many tears said he was 10 months but every other vet said 18 months. his tooth was already rotten when i got him (hence why i seen a few vets who all said it was fine) an he`s lost a couple of teeth since coming here an is a very calm springer so i always thought he was older again. i`m going for just over 3 as a rough age though

#7 Leah84, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Puppy teeth are a lot easier to get out, the adult teeth have much deeper roots into the jaw, if they are really rotten then they can loosen and it can make it easier, but if he also has an infected root now and infection in the tooth it can be really painful, hence probably thats why a GA, deep routed adult teeth and more painful with infection. Even in humans with infection in a bad tooth it can stop the local anaesthetic working, so you often have to go on a course of ABs to kill the infection before they can pull it out as there is a maximum amount of local they can even give. They may have even done the puppy tooth under sedation not GA if he come out so quick.

Usually the only way you can get a sample is to wait and then shove something flattish with a lip on it under them or something in the stream if he cocks his leg. if you cant get a sample try to take him in with a fullish bladder, they can sometimes express a sample that way by gently pushing in a particular area to get a sample. There is another way too, they can get a sample straight from the bladder, so as he will likely have to go in to have the tooth pulled they can probably at a push if they have too get one that way.

Vets usually ask before a GA if you want a pre anaesthetic blood test done, most suggest it as a matter of routine, to make sure all is OK systemically to make sure there will be no anaesthesia complications. Because this is routine though and not classed as a nescessity the insurance wont always cover the pre anaesthesia blood test and you will have to pay. I always have it done personally, and if they are going to take the blood you might as well have the full hemotology and biochemistry done, Usually they do that inhouse, if he is going to have a thyroid test done though, thats a specific blood test and has to go away to an endocrine lab if you want the full profile done. Some vets have facilities to do a T4 in house but if you are going to have a thyroid done better to ask them to do a full thyroid profile and send it away, tells you much more how the whole thyroid is working.

Must say this lot seem a lot more on the ball, then your existing vet. Let us know how your getting on. I would ask him to do at least a Total T4 Free T4
    TSH and TGAA thyroglobulin auto antibodies.

9. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

right we been to the vet an my head is swimming

the tooth doesn`t look infected so they don`t want to pull it, it is rotten but not infected.

i managed to get syd to drink a tonne of water an got his sample but it was very very diluted compared to normal as he`d drank a tonne more so i wasn`t thinking it would be very useful BUT they found a high volume of bloody even in the heavily diluted sample so are concerned about that. the one thing she said is that if the blood was so high in this diluted sample how high would it be in his normal orange smelly sample? he`s on metacam for the for the weekend and they want another sample on monday to see if the amount of blood has decreased.

the vet today said she suspects he may have cushings disease, they done basic bloods which all came back normal but he may have to go in for the full day to have test for cushings but will all depend on what the vet says on monday

i`m just really still hoping it`s something simple, when the vet came in from checking his sample today an i seen her face i felt sick. how could the other vet not pick that up? thankfully this vet has an in-house lab so i think i`ll stick with them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice