Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any ideas- Cat scratching.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by claireanddylan, Jan 10, 2012.

1. claireanddylan

claireanddylan PetForums Newbie

I have an 18month female cat that has recently started to scratch excessively. As we have chickens and she likes to look for mice in the shed, we assumed it could be a type of mite infection and took her to the vets who gave her a treatment similar to front line (think it was a stronger version) and an injection and we were told to monitor and bring her back the following week.
    The original patches appeared to clear up. We took her back to the vets who gave us some drops to help with skin repair and again, to try and eliminate anything we use on the floor that could irritate her (such as the very diluted pet friendly floor cleaner!) and to again, monitor her.

So she wasn't getting any better and was grooming and scratching again :(
    So back we went yesterday and they took a skin scrape and have sent that off for analysis.
    I am just completely confused as to what it could be. Nothing has changed over the past couple of months although she does eat quite a lot of the cat treat dreamies. I've started to cut them down as I'm now concerned that as she was having over the recommended dosage it may be that? She's not overweight so I suppose I didn't consider the ingredients could have other side effects.
    We've always had chickens so they aren’t something new. She's not stressed and is a very happy and vocal cat. She eats well and is up to date on her vacs.
    I just don't have a clue what she could be reacting to and it's so frustrating.
    She's a fussy eater and eats the gourmet cat food as it's that only thing she'll eat. Although again, she's been eating that for over a year and we've never had a problem.
    She's also regularly treated with front line so I'm certain it's not fleas.

I'm so upset and I really hate stressing her out going to the vets and back every week.
    The vet said the next port of call is a blood test then the worst case scenario would be to take an actual skin sample (as opposed to a scrape) but I'm so stressed at the thought of her having to go through that. :(

Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

2. laleirina

laleirina PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

my cat have very similar scratching and sometimes behaves like on a sugar rush. I thought we might give her too much of Dreamies...
    May I ask if you found the reasons and how you fixed it?
    Thank you

3. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Parasites and allergies are top of the list for itchy cats.

FAD (flea allergic dermatitis)
    Food allergy
    Atopic dermatitis
    Fleas
    Mites

And any secondary bacterial or yeast infection will make the itching worse.

4. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Holy guacamole, this thread is older than me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice