Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any ideas as to what this may be?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ExD, Feb 1, 2021.

1. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

I do n't have a dog but this one belongs to a friend and we're worried about her. After a couple of hundred yards she starts panting and just sits down refusing to budge. Her breath is rasping and she seems in some distress. My friend sent a video which I am trying to post, without much success I hope this will be readable. We would welcome all suggestions, the vet has prescribed steroids but they don't seem to be having any effect.

https://www.facebook.com/messenger_media/?thread_id=733278456&attachment_id=3852054591513818&message_id=mid.$cAABa9HrqCKl9hTDQTl3U-rTsGb-W

#1 ExD, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Cant view the video, but has the dog had any diagnostics performed?

Based on the description alone, i would be thinking some sort of cardiac issue.

lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Did the vet say what they think the issue is?

How long has she been on the steroids?

Stop taking her for walks until you know what the issue is, especially as she’s struggling to breathe or in pain.

4. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

The vet seems to be stumped. She's been on these pills for a good 2 months now, and the vet did reduce the dose about 2 weeks ago but has returned to the original dose. I haven't seen the dog or my friend 'in the flesh' so all i've seen are videos.
    Oddly enough I thought it might be a heart problem. It started with a kind of seizure, but by the time they got her to the vet's she'd fully recovered, bloods have been taken and have come back normal. The dog is 9 years old.

#4 ExD, Feb 1, 2021
  5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Your friend needs to push for tests. An xray, EKG and an ultrasound ideally. Sounds a lot like congestive heart failure

Another possibility is lungworm, but the heart seems more likely due to age.

6. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Sorry you can't see the video Nonnie, i'm a bit dim when it comes to technology . Will it copy and paste?
    I'm trying to get my friend to join the group, it would be better if she described it.

7. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Do you know if it's only on walks that she does this? Has the vet examined her spine to see whether she has something like a slipped disc which would also cause considerable pain and distress when walking.

8. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

The vet has sedated her and checked her throat and lungs. She has also checked out heart and kidneys. Now she also has some bare patches in her hair.
    [​IMG]

#8 ExD, Feb 1, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice