Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any ideas about this odd behaviour?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by weebeasties, Jun 1, 2019.

1. weebeasties

weebeasties PetForums Member

Buddy is 14 months old. We have had him since he was 8 weeks. He is extremely cuddly and affectionate but only when our other cats are not in the same room. When the other cats are present, he will come for pets but that's about it. When he is alone with his humans, he becomes the biggest cuddlebug ever. Why? I really don't think he feels insecure. Quite the opposite, actually. He's overflowing with confidence and gets along well with the other cats. Any ideas why he only gets super affectionate in private?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Are the other cats older than he is? They raised him? Just his way, most likely. Who knows what interrelationships cats have with one another. He may change it up as time goes on, you never know. It says a lot about you and your relationships with your cats, that you have noticed it. :)

weebeasties likes this.
  3. weebeasties

weebeasties PetForums Member

Yes, the other cats are older than him. Sam is 2 years older, the others 9+. He's been around them ever since we brought him home. They have no issues with being affectionate - anytime, anywhere!:D

He does get cuddly in front of the others when I get home from work, but that only lasts about 5 minutes.

It's fine with me if that's the way he wants it, I was just curious as to why. I've joked that he's just a typical teenager who's embarrassed by his mom in front of his friends!:p

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That may be more true than you realize. Not the embarrassed part but...he is still a very young cat and still working out his place in the world. Like I said he may change up on you later. x

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice