Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any help with toilet training gratefully received!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sandycroft, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Sandycroft

Sandycroft PetForums Newbie

I was wondering if anyone has any advice. My pup is nearly 7 months old and has been accident free from toileting for a month or so in the two rooms we keep him in (kitchen/sitting room with dog door to outside). The problem is he will toilet if he gets anywhere else in the house.....it can be so quick! He is not crate trained as he never liked it and wriggles a lot in his sleep. He sleeps on our bed and never has had an accident there. It's a bit like the more house he gets just confuses him. (He even wee'd in the kitchen yesterday ,which he hasnt done in weeks when, when given more space). He's so nearly there but I'm disspairing a bit as he's nearly 7 months. Is it just time and the usual training will eventually get him there?

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Don't despair. It's quite common for puppies to pee when they are allowed in rooms they've never been in. In fact it can also happen with visiting mature dogs that are normally well house trained.

I've got an 8 month old puppy and she peed in the lounge on the new carpet the first time she was allowed in there much to my husband's annoyance.....!!

3. Sandycroft

Thank you for your reply. I'm just not sure how long all this is going to take. It seems like forever!

4. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Don't give him the opportunity to toilet in the house again, keep him on lead or in a puppy pen when you can't watch him all the time. Do you reward him when he toilets outside? Do you use an enzymatic cleaner? What breed is he?

5. Sandycroft

He's kept in the same two rooms with my husband (he works from home) so he's never alone and here he is great. We are just trying to get him used to the rest of the house but sometimes they are just too quick with little or no warning...the beggar! He gets praised when we catch him going outside but as he has a dog door he takes himself outside and of course my husband is working too. I'm hoping it's a matter of time but I do find it really tying and trying!

6. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

How about only letting him get used to the rest of the house when you're in that particular room? And only after he has toileted outside?

Yes, puppies are tying and trying! But that stage doesn't last very long - depending on breed though. And if you have been patient and consistent you will have a wonderful dog for many years. so don't let occasional accidents get you down.

7. Sandycroft

Thank you. We've been at this for nearly five months now so a bit weary. On the plus side my house has never been so clean! He's also a bichon cross so I appreciate they can be a bit slower on the toilet training too. He's never left in a new room without supervision and he can be great one day then the next he's forgotten.

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Hmm I always take my puppies outside and stand there until they've performed, then praise like mad and/or give a treat. Personally I think they get the idea much faster. Although my current puppy has turned 8 months and has been reliably clean since about 16 weeks, I still insist on her going out about every 1-2 hours and I stand in the conservatory to make sure she goes.

bumbarrel and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  9. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

I still keep an eye on my dog, he was a nightmare to toilet train (he was just under a year before it finally 'clicked' ) it gets very weary some after a while!

Out of habit maybe now I keep an eye on him, just making sure he goes especially morning / nighttime,.

Rather than a door always being left open maybe start manually taking him out before he is allowed to explore the rest of the house , or after a walk as then he has done all his business before, gradually introducing him to the rest of the house?

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If he is letting himself out to pee, then I think that might be the issue. He is a bit confused. At 7 months I would say his training isn't engrained enough yet to let him have free rein to the garden in this way.

I would go back to basics and give him regular toilet breaks and he should be indicating when he needs to go out rather than sorting himself out.

Set him up go success.

11. Sandycroft

Thanks for all your advice. I think I'll just have to take him out more when we're in other rooms or only go there with him after he's been on a walk and hope that in time it will sink in. It's reassuring that others have got there eventually too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice