Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any help welcome - major house training issue :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sarro, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Sarro

Sarro PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys,

I really could use some help from you guys if at all possible as things are getting intolerable at home :(

I have a 10 year old spayed Rottie bitch, a 2 yr old unneutered Jack Russell bitch, and three males cats. Salem is 6 and neutered and two 6month old brothers who are unneutered at the moment. They are going in for their ops next week.

Firstly, when we first moved to this new house ( May 2011) Salem, who had perviously never messed in the house started spraying all over the house. We have moved quite a lot in the last few years so he is pretty used to new surroundings. In fact, the spraying got so bad we have had to replace ALL the carpets in the house with wooden flooring as the smell was evident from the street. I tried everything to stop him, putting pepper down, lemon juice, washing the area with non biological soap powder, telling him off etc but to no avail. He was even sraying down the sides of furniture. I have no idea why he would do this as there is nothing in the house to stress him out. The dogs leave him alone and he has free run of the house so he can *escape* wherever he wants to.

Back in the summer I rescured the two brothers I now have. They weren't litter trained but they soon learned. Now, however, Salem has mysteriously stopped spraying in the house, but the kittens are pooping and weeing wherever they want to. They have used the litter tray for months and still do but they also use the house. Today I woke up and there was pee all over the house and poop in the bath of all places! They poop and wee infront of me and don't try to hide it at all. Even when the litter tray is fresh they will use the house. They are not sraying - its just crouching down to pee.

Also - as if this wasn't enough to deal with. My Jack Russell is now peeing and pooping all over the house - mostly in my daughters bedroom. The number of times I have gone flying as I have slipped in dog pee is getting ridiculous. She knows to do her business outside and on her walks but it doesnt stop her. If its raining she refused to go outside at all and just comes home and does it here. She has also peed on my bed.

To be honest I would go to the ends of the earth for my pets, but at the moment I feel like I am living in an animal kennel. The house stinks, my kids are treading in animal waste where they have done it sneakily and I hav not noticed to clean it up in time, and I am depserately worried about the health implications - particulary from the cat poop.

I am at the end of my tether and if I can't sort it out I feel I have no option but to rehome the offenders - although that's not really a solution as if they continue to do it in a new home they will get rehomed again. I want to get it sorted as I really don't want to lose any of them but I just can't go on like this.

I have spoken to my vets but all they suggest I do is get Felway to de-stress the cats. I dont think its a stress problem to be honest.

Can anyone help me please by giving me any advice?

Thank you so much guys.

2. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

How many litter trays do you have? Are they emptied often enough? The general rule is 1 tray per cat +1 so if you have 3 cats then there should be 4 trays, though I know that's easier said than done. Cats don't like to use a dirty tray so if the trays aren't clean enough they're more likely to go elsewhere. Your problem could also be down to your younger two maturing and you might see a change once they have been neutered. Cats don't always show they're stressed and may pee & poo around the house even if they appear fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice