Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Any GSD owners?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Laura&Jinx, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Laura&Jinx

Laura&Jinx PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am new to this site.
    I am looking for some advice on my GSD bitch, does anyone else have one that they've had behavioural issues with?
    My biggest worry at the moment is her impulsivity/reactiveness, with very little warning. One minute she will seem fine, the next she lunges at someone with little to no warning.
    I am seeing a vet behaviourist with her, but after 6 months of being on medication there is little difference to show for it.
    I am just after some support I think.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this with theirs?
    I am not settling with just accepting this about her, it is something I want to do whatever I can to work on.
    Thank you :)
    Laura

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

A bit more information would help ie how old is she - did you have her from a puppy - have you been to any training classes with her - is she reactive when people visit your home/out in the park/walking along a pavement, etc - is she your only dog/first dog?

Sairy likes this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

To add to @Twiggy ’s questions, what has the behaviourist been working on with you?

Sairy likes this.
  4. Laura&Jinx

Hi, sorry should have given more. I just feel like I have repeated myself so much over the last year that I forget..............

Jinx (F) will be 2 in February. I have had her since she was 6 weeks, she was a hand-rear. She was hand raised from 6 days old, with one other sibling. I took her to puppy classes, she was very gobby even then, but put down to frustration and lacking impulse control.
    She used to react to dogs only when on her lead, now she is reacting to them off lead too (I took her out with a friend and their calm older boy gsd, kept her muzzle on thank goodness). She does react to people in the house, very barky. She started showing signs last Christmas, she was absolutely fine with anyone visiting. She would jump up but would allow them to fuss her and she 'seemed' fine with it. But once we were all settled, her included, in the living room as soon as they shuffled or stood up she jumped and nipped them. She also did this the other day to my friend's son, he didn't move but something clicked and she jumped on him.
    Out and about, she'll bark if she gets startled by someone, but generally she will ignore people. Unless they have a 4-legged friend with them.
    I do not have people over the house now that Jinx does not know.
    The first instance of 'attacking' someone was back in the Spring, she had been having cuddles with this guy, she then wandered off (on lead) while he and I carried on chatting. Then she turned, faced him and jumped up at him biting his arms. It wasn't a latch on bite, more of a hard mouthing. But nonetheless.
    After that, and a similar lunge at our agility instructor (which we quit shortly after), I asked our vet to refer us to a behaviourist. Since then (May) she has been on her medication. We have seen him a total of 3 times. We have been given some calming techniques to do at home. I was advised to keep her at home and work on these before taking her back out on walks. We are now going out quite regularly, but she is worse now I think - ie I can't trust her off lead with other dogs, whereas before I had no worries at all.
    With regard to people on pavements etc, she certainly is alert to them, but I still food in her face whilst they are approaching/passing, so she doesn't get chance to react. To be fair, she isn't too bad in this incidence.

Jinx is my only dog (since I lost my last one when Jinx was just 8/9 weeks old). She was meant to be a companion to me and my older girl, but it didn't work out quite like that when my older girl got diagnosed with lymphoma, she was 12.

Jinx is a very sweet dog to me and to my family and 3 friends who she knows. She is crazy clever. She loves other dogs so much, so it is sad that I now can't trust her with them.
    I would really love to be able to take her places without her mouthing off all the time and I would so love to have people over my house without the worry of her suddenly freaking out. I live on my own (aside from Jinx and our 3 cats) so this is all very difficult.

I have contacted a GS rescue for advice, but I have not yet had a response. I have also spoken to another trainer/behaviourist about 1-2-1 sessions, but they want to write up a report on her (I had one from the last behavourist) which I am not convinced will be that helpful. I need some 1-2-1 help I think as I need to know what I should be doing to help her with someone pretty much going through it with me at times.
    I just feel a bit stuck and people I speak to all suggest I try to find someone who knows the breed.....................

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Actually I was going to suggest a trainer/behaviourist that understands the breed. Roughly whereabouts are you (assuming UK)?

6. Laura&Jinx

I am yes :) Weston-super-Mare, South West.

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

OK not my area but you have a brilliant GSD trainer/handler in Bristol. Here's the link:
    www.krazyk9sdogtraining.co.uk

8. Laura&Jinx

Thank you, I will contact her this week.

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

She is without question the best handler of GSDs in the UK IMO and I've been judging competitive obedience classes for 40 years now. I hope she can help you.

10. Laura&Jinx

I do too. And that I can afford the help.
    Thank you, I will let you know how I get on.

Twiggy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice