Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any Groomers Out There Be Kind Enough To Offer Career Advice?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Cloudfox, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Cloudfox

Cloudfox PetForums Newbie

Hello,

Thanks for your time, I'm a 23 year old looking to change up my life as I feel very stuck. I currently work two part time jobs, a Bakery Assistant and a Kennel Hand. I did do the Animal Management Diploma up to level 5 and would love to work full time in the Animal Industry but, there are hardly any jobs in the East Midlands and I don't want to waste my Diploma. I don't have any access to a promotion in my work neither and as i'm coming nearer to 25 I want to be advancing in my life.

I was wondering what life was like as a dog groomer. I did do a slight introduction for my diploma which i adored but didn't advance on it as I was shy of the competition, if you wasn't into dog grooming then you would either be a Vet nurse ( definite no no for me) or Zookeeper in our college. Of course I wanted to broaden my skills and be more of a "jack of all trades" kinda person. But here in the East Midlands, animal jobs are hard to come by and i'm not in a position to move out.

What is the best route to get into dog grooming?
    - To take a course? ( I found a mix run by either the city & guilds or by the ICMG, is either of these good?)
    - To be taken on as a trainee? ( I often see Pets at home or kennelgate advertise)
    - or is there another way?

What is the best part & worse part of your job?
    - I would be quite anxious about dealing with picky/ upset clients
    - I am no stranger to hard labor, I am strong stomached and been around all types of dogs.
    - I am an creative, artsy person and hope I can express this in grooming?

Do you think your job earns you enough?
    - As a young person trying to move out/ start up independently, would you think this is a stable source of income?

Thank you ever so much for reading this and I look forward to any replies.

2. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

I think dog grooming sounds perfect for you. Don't worry about picky customers because as a job I don't think there are many that could compete with the amount of praise us groomers get from owners. Owners love spoiling their dog's and appreciate a good groomer. Also, don't worry about competition, there really is enough work to go around. And the number of customers is always growing as puppies are born.

Both city and guilds and icmg are very recognised in the industry, either would be a good choice, whichever is most accessible to you.

You could do a part time course at college which would take two years as you would need level 2 and level 3 diploma.
    You could do an intensive course in 30 days.

You would need the qualifications to get a job or start your own business. You would have a guaranteed income at pets at home or kennelgate and would gain experience so they're a good place to start.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice