Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any experience with PRA anyone?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JSR, May 28, 2010.

1. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

My Poodle x Bedlington has been diagnoised (sp) with Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA). Obviously I've looked up what I can but wanted to know if anyone has any personal experience of the disease? He's only 6 now and still okay, his sight isn't perfect in half light and he's got a slight pigmentation change in the eye's but we're hoping they'll hold on for a few years yet. Would be interested to hear if any one has any experience though.

Thanks

2. rona

rona Guest

Yes.
    My sister had a poodle who went blind at about 5.
    She still had a good life.
    You have to be careful with moving anything in the house or placing new things on the floor (like shopping when you get home)
    Her sense of smell seemed to become heightened, and she went out for walks with the rest of my sisters pack by walking near my sisters heels.
    She occassionally stopped off for a sniff, and you have to always keep an eye on them.
    Also, you can only walk on flat ground.

What a bummer, that's all you need :(

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Thanks Rona, not been a good week! This with Sidney, Cromwell keep's falling...but won't bloody stop trying to leap up on the sofa, come for walks and get upstairs!! And Cooper's lumps have come back with avengence and we've decided they have to stay because his heart won't cope with another op!!!! So they could be end of him if it's started to spread as we suspect. Sigh sigh sigh!!

All this couples with Naughty Norris, shed loads of dogs being dumped...people now deciding I'm kitten woman too and feck wits who can't stop their animals from breeding left right and center.

And breath!!!!!!!! :lol:

4. rona

rona Guest

Sounds like you could do with a week at Little Dumpledale :D

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

That would do nicely!!! Went there years ago and it was fab...only thing missing was my horse but they said I could take him next time!! Just have to find the money/time/days off work!!! :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice