Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Any experience of Trophy dog food??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Beagle, May 10, 2010.

1. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Hi folks,

Our beagle puppy is now 14 weeks old and doing beautifully! When we first got him he was on Beta puppy food, soaked with a bit of butchers loaf added. I wasn't a big fan of the low protein levels of Beta so (after tons of research) very gradually moved him over onto Wainwrights puppy which he now has soaked with a bit of natures diet added. Its clearly better than Beta but would still like to move up more in terms of quality.

We've just started puppy classes and our trainer recommended a few different dry foods (the usual good ones, orijen, AG etc) and also said that she fed all her dogs on Trophy and was a big fan of it.

I've trawled the forum but only found one mention fo Trophy from ages ago which was a question rather than an opinion, so please, has anyone ever fed it and what do you think?

I'm quite keen to try it but really want some opinions first!

The ingredients in the puppy food are:
    Supreme Basmati Rice (min. 43%),
    Chicken Meat (min. 30%),
    Oats (min. 10%),
    Chicken Oil,
    White Fish Meat (min. 5%),
    Brewers Yeast,
    Salmon Oil,
    Vitamins & Minerals, MOS.
    Antioxidants added: Tocopherol Rich Extracts of natural origin (Vit E).

2. MilliesDad

MilliesDad PetForums Newbie

I've fed my dog on Trophy Premium Puppy food since she was 12 weeks old. She has done very well on it and has now moved to Premium Active.
    She was originally on a well known commercial brand and has intermittent watery stools and went about 8 times a day. When she was used to Trophy her stools were more compact and firmer and she only went about 3 times a day.

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

My friend used to live by where trophy is made and alwayd fed her cat it, said it was great stuff. But it seems to have gone up in price a lot since then.

Looking at the puppy food they seem pretty expensive, the ingredients don't look any better than Skinners puppy or Arden Grange puppy, yet it's about £10 more.

That said, I know a few people who have said its great stuff, just seems expensive for what it is to me.

4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i havent ever used it or really have any experience of it at all. it seems ok ingredients wise, but maybe not so easy to get a hold of as other foods of a similar quality.

my beagle is 15weeks and he has been on Arden Grange puppy pretty much the whole of his life. he loves it and he looks great on it. can thoroughly reccommend!!

5. Roo

Roo PetForums Member

Take a look at the range from The Natural Dog Food Company. 100% natural with no synthetic added vitamins. To compare, this is their puppy chicken :

British Chicken Meat Meal (min 29%), Fresh British Chicken (min 26%), Brown Rice ( min 20% ), Mixed Vegetables & Herbs (min 9%), Barley, Linseed, Refined Chicken Oil, Brewers Yeast,. Protein 25%, Oil 11.5%, Fibre 2.5%.

Yorkshire covered by Holmfirth Bailey / Homepage ( they offer FREE delivery ), or The Natural Dog Food Company … where good health comes naturally

6. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Again, that looks expensive for the price, Orijen is only a few £ more and has zero fillers, no rice etc.

7. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Thanks very much for all your thoughts guys!

Ducky, I am quite tempted by AG and its always great to know it's suited another beagle so well (and your boy is clearly doing brilliantly on it!).

Lyceum, I do hear what you're saying about the small difference in cost with Orijen and I agree and it does make me think about going with a brand that has such a high reputation and used by so many, rather than a brand that very few have heard of!

With regards to using less fillers though, my pup will be going to work with my OH when he's older and so is likely to be doing more exercise than a typical 'pet' dog most days - so do you think that the extra carbs from the fillers might be a useful thing to have?

Goodness, I put sooooooo much more thought into the pup's food than I do my own! I had a bit of easter egg and a cup of coffee for breakfast this morning!!

DDOMA likes this.
  8. love_my_pets

love_my_pets PetForums Member

My mum and dad used to feed our family dog Trophy dog food years ago and he did well on it! Had it from puppy and lived to 15 years of age, he had no illnesses or ever had a vet appointment! Dont know if its still the same now though?

Csj was recommended to me recently and i have put my two on it- they love it! It gets delivered to my door and are very reasonably priced.

I'd just say do what you think is right for your dog x

9. mothroth

mothroth PetForums Newbie

If you're looking for a high quality food delivered to your door - your'e better off with Oscar Pet Food. Much better quality and the service is way better... just my two peneth!
    My local chap is excellent. Drops the bag off for me every few weeks - he's doing great on it too

10. richella2010

richella2010 PetForums Newbie

I'd recommend Oscar as well, good quality ingredients! A friend of mine suggested them and I've never looked back. They will come and show you the foods if you contact them - its like free meal for your dog to try.
    ''www.oscars.co.uk'' (they're on facebook too)

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

No, it's a common misconception, dogs don't need carbs. Their digestive system can't make use of them, their energy comes from protein, ie meat. So the higher the meat content, the better, as long as it's a good meet source that is.

Carbs are converted into glucose, which will give the dog a lovely sugar rush lol. Sure it'll give them energy, just like chocolate will give us energy, but a decent meat protein source is much better.

PS. I'm a big fan of arden grange myself, my boys did very well on it and the customer service is fantastic.

Still, at the end of the day, it's all about finding a food that suits your dog.

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I wouldnt have said it was that much better than wainwrights to be honest:thumbup:

13. MilliesDad

MilliesDad PetForums Newbie

Fillers are used to fill out pet foods. A manufacturer does this mainly when using things like meat and animal derivitives and protein extracts. Because there is not much actual meat there they have to use fillers so that there is something for the dog to eat. A dog cannot use these fillers so what goes in mainly comes out of the waggy end. Therefore if you use a food containing cereals you will get more poo!!
    If your OH is planning to take the pup to work I'd feed a good quality food without fillers and the pup will get enough energy but less poo for your OH to clear up.
    I know that Trophy pet foods do not use fillers, they only use human grade meat, where possible UK sourced ingredients and it is made in the UK. You know that you are feeding the best food with Trophy - I only have to look at my own dog and cats and have really seen the difference since they have been eating the food. Also, Trophy deliver to your door for free and you can try the food before hand - they will give you free samples. They also have lots of treats and accessories available too and all of their representatives are nutritionally trained and can offer all sorts of help and advice.

Go to the Trophy Pet Foods web site for more information. They have been around for a long time but you don't see it in the shops as this inflate the price and because they use such good quality ingredients it would cost too much so they keep costs down by either having a person deliver to you or by supplying mail order. I can't praise the help that Trophy have given me enough and my animals are thriving.

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I was an agent for Trophy for a while many years ago. There was not the same selection of foods then and no doubt it has changed a lot but certainly all the dog that were on it seemed to do very well.

15. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I've just looked at the site, every single one of their foods has rice listed as the first or second ingredient, some have maize listed as the first ingredient, both rice and maize are fillers. One is 55% potato, £40 is pretty expensive for a giant sack of spuds with a bit of meat added. Some of them don't even tell you the percentage of maize, and those ones don't have meat until the third ingredient, that's just basically a bag of fillers.

The ingredients do look fine on some of their premium foods, I'd try my dog on it no problems, but please don't tell people they don't use fillers when they very clearly do.

If you want a food with no fillers at all, the only one I can think of is Orijen or raw, and even orijen has veg in, which I assume could be classed as a filler?

#15 Lyceum, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  16. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Lyceum if I ever need a private investigator - you're the person I'm coming to! Seriously though, i really do appreciate your help.

Thanks so much for all your comments folks, I have now decided to have a good look into Arden Grange and Orijen, see if I can get some samples and choose between those two - with a bit of natures diet mixed in and some raw chicken wings on occasion too.

Anyone else notice that some of the posters strongly recommending certain foods only joined this month, only posted on this topic and seemed reeeeeeeeaaallllyy clued up on their particualr food of choice?

Or am I just a cynical old mare?! :D

17. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

lol, thanks...I think lol. Seriously, I worry for how much time I spend looking at dog food these days lol. It's a blooming mind field.

I feed Skinners (Although currently swapping to raw), not amazing ingredients wise, but you have to find the food that suits your dog. I'm a big fan of Arden grange, their lamb and rice scores very highly on the independent review site a lot of people on here use to check ingredients.

Dog Food Reviews - Arden Grange Adult Lamb & Rice - Powered by ReviewPost

Several of my family members use it and their dogs are doing fantastically well. I only changed from it as the vet recommended putting Novak on an uncommon meat source, suck as duck. And I can't say enough about their customer service. And Orijen pretty much speaks for itself, you've only got to look at the ingredients. But it does come with a hefty price tag.

Have a look at prize choice free flow mince as well as naturediet, about £3 for a 2kg bag, most pet shops either sell it or can order it in, p@h sell it too. Defrost at needed and mix in a few spoon fulls with the dry. I do this so I know they're getting 100% meat, no fillers or crap. Plus it bumps up the meat content as Skinners is only about 20%.

P.S. I share your cynicism about certain posters, especially when you look at their previous posts, and oddly they're all exactly the same, hmm....

#17 Lyceum, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  18. Roo

Roo PetForums Member

.............kettle & pot methinks!!

19. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Eh? :confused:

20. victoriaj

victoriaj PetForums Member

i have a 7 month beagle and have had so many problems with her stomach. we used to feed her orijen but found the protein levels just too high for her. she is now on skinners duck and rice for sensitive stomachs and her stomach finally seems to be settling down... she has a muzzle now to stop her eating dog poo while were out walking so hoping her belly will settle completely now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice